Unnoticed

Mitch pushed his glasses up his nose and continued painting.

He was doing something abstract only he understood, but the teacher still adored his.

Most of the time, Mitch paintings included black or blue, colors he saw as dark and sad.

A few minutes before class was over he finished, and started to clean up after himself, rinsing the brushes, putting the canvas to dry.

When the bell rand he left the classroom with a sigh, not wanting to leave. He went to his locker and he saw his best friend Alex waiting for him.

"Mitchie!" He pulled him into a quick hug and let him go. "Guess what?"

Mitch grabbed his money from a bag he kept in his locker. "What, Allie?"

"We got asked to sit at the popular table!"

The brunette shut his locker as his eyes widened. "What? By who?!"

"Scott. Hoying. He came up to me and he asked me! This could be your chance, babe!"

Scott Hoying. Mitch's ultimate crush and the reason his paintings are sad.

He was ecstatic! He couldn't believe he was about to sit at the popular table.

They entered the cafeteria and headed for it. Alex sat down and everyone greeted him, Mitch just sat next to him quietly.

Scott's attention immediately drifted to the two boys, mostly to Alex.

Mitch blushed when they made eye contact and looked down to the doodle notebook he had in his hands.

"Hey!" Scott said enthusiastically.

"Hi, Scott! What's-- oh, Mitchie, no, where's your food?" Alex got immediately concerned for his best friend, who rarely ate lunch.

Mitch blushed even more and looked at his lap, knowing the whole table's attention was on him. "I-I'm not hungry, Allie."

Alex pushed over a small salad. "Have at least a few bites, Mitchie. Please?"

The brunette looked up at him and he pushed his glasses up, shyly nodding. "Fine."

He noticed about five other people looking at them. Some with worried expressions, some with curious ones. Once they saw he was looking they went back to their conversations.

Scott, though, kept his attention on them.

"Oh, Scott, this is Mitch. My best friend." Alex explained.

"That's cute." Scott continued a conversation with Alex. Mitch quietly ate, looking down.

When he finished the small salad, Allie didn't seem to notice. He listened to a bit of their conversation and heard Scott clearly flirting with Alex. So Mitch stood up quietly and left the same way. No one noticed, so he headed to his and Alex's spot under a tree by the basketball court.

He sat and opened his notebook, and continued working on the drawing he started.

It was a drawing of the eyes that drove him crazy. They weren't blue yet, but he was getting there. His drawing was incredibly realistic, and looked like it belonged on a museum.

"Watcha doing?" Mitch looked up to see the blonde girl and a red haired one sitting at either sides of him. He recognized them from the 'popular table' but couldn't remember their names.

"Oh, um, drawing."

"That's amazing. I'm Kirstie, she's Nicole."

"Mitch."