Chapter 1

Chapter 1- Haylee's POV

I woke up to my mom staring at me with a tray of food. I stared at the food, it probably had a medical pill hidden somewhere in it. When she got closer and attempted to feed me-as if I were a baby- I cringed. When I cringed a needle inserted in my arm fell off and a nurse came to my hospital room- which, for now, I considered my home.

Within minutes the needle was inserted in my arm again. My mom and the nurse went outside to talk- about what I assume was my death. I just stared at the tv,which was on for most of the day, watching every Friends throwback episode that aired on Warner. My mom came in seconds later, trying to seem oblivious to whichever news she had gotten. She didn't try hard enough.

"Mom, what happened?" I said, staring at her pale face.

"You are eligible. Eligible for a wish." She said, breathing heavily. News flash- I was practically almost considered dead to people, as I did to myself.

"Well, mom..." I started to say but my words drifted of to an awkward silence. She left the room.

She needed time to clear off her mind; knowing that her one and only daughter probably would die sooner than she had ever expected. I didn't want to leave my mom all alone, but in a way I also did. It seemed so ego centrical from me, but I didn't want her to pay all the medical bills for me. I have costed her thousands of dollars these past five years. That's why my parents owe a huge debt. I am the reason for their debt, and lowkey their suffering as well. I did feel guilty. I knew they loved me, but I felt as if they should hate me too. I was causing them so much pain.

Nurse Nancy came in the room, pouting. Nancy has been my nurse and best friend for two years. She is obviously not even close to my age-15- but she's a very comprehensive woman.

"Hey, I heard about the wish..." She said adjusting a couple of buttons from a monitor.

"Yeah, mom's pretty sad about it." I said shrugging.

"Well, but aren't you?"She said.

"No, not that much. I don't want to see my parents suffer because of me. Life's beautiful while it lasts, but when I die another person will be born. Everyone ends up dying at one point." I said calmly. It took a moment for Nancy to take it all in. She had never seen this facade of me; she usually saw my listening me or the bitchy me, but never the I-wanna-die me.

"Haylee, please honey. It's all gonna be alright. You will be alright-" She said, I interrupted her.

"No, it's not. Five years, I've spent five freaking years at this hospital and I haven't been cured. Why would I now? What's my reason? None. I won't be. It's the end for me." I said. Nancy's eyes watered as she was breathing heavily. I am literally her only friend. I sat with her for hours listening how her daughter and husband were just so supporting and loving. Over this five years she's been one of my only friends, and I've been her only friend.

"Honey, please. You will be cured, trust me, I will try." She said. I grinned, I believe it was the first time I've smiled in a week. And many smiles were yet to come.