Chapter 29

P R E V I O U S L Y ...

"Hello, Ava." His voice says and he too sounds familiar to me.

I look at him for a long time even though I can't see his face through the mask and it's dark. My brain really can't wrap around who the hell this is.

"Still don't know who I am?" He asks and I just sit still, thinking of ways to lower my heart rate.

He starts to take off his mask. When he does, I gasp.

"Hello, Ava."

"Dad?"

***

A V A

What the fuck is this? A reality show?!

"Dad? W-what's going on?" I say, not one bit believing that this is real.

He takes a step closer to me. "Don't you get it, Ava?" He continues, "I paid your little boyfriend to kidnap and kill you. But of course, the fucking idiot fell for your charms and didn't do the damn job."

I actually can't believe this. Maybe I'm dreaming. This is just a dream. Yeah. It's a dream, it's gotta be.

"I can assure you my stepdaughter that this is not a dream." He says. I must've thought out loud. Behind him, the other guy is now on the floor counting his money.

"B-but why did you do it? W-why?"

He sighs. "When I met your mother, she was the most amazing and beautiful woman I have ever met in my life. She was an angel sent from heaven. She was so kind, sweet and gentle. I fell in love with her instantly."

I roll my eyes. I just asked him to tell me why he did it, not to tell me a bedtime story about my mother.

My mood right now: Annoyed.

"Anyways, we started dating. I took her everywhere and got her anything she wanted."

Ugh. Can't this guy just get to the point?

"We were doing fine until I saw you. She never told me she had a child. She waited last minute to tell me. Apparently, you were with your grandma for the 3 months that we were dating."

He takes the next step to me.

"When she finally introduced me to you, I became jealous. I was jealous that a next man gave her a baby and that I would never have the opportunity to give her one." He continues, "Anyways, I accepted that and soon after, married your mother. Now don't get me wrong, I did love you like you were my own but as the years went by, Marie paid less attention to me and more on you."

He puts a hand into his pocket and retrieves a packet of cigarettes and a lighter. He takes one out of the packet and lights it, putting it in his mouth. He takes a puff and continues.

"And you see, I hated that. It was always, 'Ava this.' and 'Ava that.' and 'Let's do what Ava wants to do.' She had no more love for me. The day before you got kidnapped, she told me she wanted a divorce. Ha. Like I would give her one."