Chapter 47

A V A

"Have a great day!" I say nicely to the grumpy man before he leaves with his groceries and his receipt.

Geez.

I wouldn't want to be the one who pissed him off.

"Hello." I greet the next customer. The man flashes me a smile. He's in his early twenties it seems. I start to scan his items as he finishes unloading the last of them.

"Are you actually not going to leave me alone?" A familiar voice says. The same voice that's been in my past dreams for weeks now. I look up to see the young man smiling at her.

"Seriously?!" Lupe tells him.

"Just doing my job as your boyfriend."
The man smirks at her.

"For the last time, you are not my boyfriend!" She tells him. The man shrugs.

"Whatever you say, sweet cheeks." He smirks again and she rolls her eyes before looking at me. Her eyes widen.

"Oh." Is all that comes out her mouth. " Um, hi." She nervously says to me. She lightly smiles and I lightly smile back.

Awkward.

"How are you?" She asks bumping the man and taking a step closer to me.

"I'm great," I say, scanning the items and putting them in bags.

Yeah, I'm fine... besides dreaming of you kidnapping me, dipping a pregnancy test in the toilet randomly to see if I was pregnant and being a psycho... Yeah, totally fine.

She just stands there quietly while I scan the last of the items.

As I'm about to tell her the cost, she stops me.

"Hey, I'm sorry about the other night with Noah at the club." She says and I'm taken back with her hasty-ness.

"I was trying to move on and I just ended up there and one thing leads to another and I was getting drunk and stuff. Noah saw me. He was going to take me home."  She continues. "We didn't go there together. That was the last time I saw him. I told him thank you when he dropped me home and that I'll leave you two alone."

I stand there speechless.

"I'm really sorry for everything." She says.

I smile at her and she smiles back. I turn and look at the computer screen.

"That will be fifty-six dollars and eighty-seven cents," I tell her. She searches in her wallet to get the money but the man behind her comes around and swipes his credit card.

"What the.." Lupe starts to say. I gasp.

"Can you stop being stubborn?" The man says to her, punching in his code.

"Fine, you pay for it. The least you can do." Lupe says, sighing.

When the transaction is accepted, I take the receipt and hand it over to her. But before she can take from me, the man takes it from my hands.

"Thank you." He says with another smile and I nod. Lupe rolls her eyes at him and tells me thanks.

"Have a great day," I tell them as they start to pick up their bags.

"I'll pick them up." The man says to Lupe.

"They are mine, I can pick them up my damn self. I really don't need your help." She tells him.

He ignores her picking them up and walking off leaving her.

She opens her mouth wide. "Great, I'm stuck with him. There is no end." She raises her hands in the air.

I look to see if anyone was coming to my station to cash out but sure enough, no one was. I turn back to her.

"Why don't you just give him a chance? He looks like he really likes you." I tell her.

"He was a mistake. He was a one night stand that didn't turn out to be a one night stand at all!" She exclaims.

"Come on, I say you give him a chance. You never know what might happen." I  try to convince her. He seems like a really great guy.

She stands there for a minute. Then she smiles.

"Yeah, maybe you're right." She turns to me. "Thanks. Oh, and I wish you and Noah all the best." She smiles at me and I smile back.

She leaves. And my smile is gone.  If only she knew that we weren't together.

Oh, Noah.

A tear falls from my eye and I am left in an empty store once again.