Chapter 30

I sit just a few feet away from their bodies.

Their lifeless bodies.

You killed them.

A light flashes from the corner of my eye. It's a black Toyota that's camouflaging in the dark. I quickly sit up, grab the crowbar nearby and I run towards a haystack, hiding behind it.

I peep out a little, only enough that I can see who's coming out of it. The car door swings open and a man with a black mask comes out. It looks like the same man that was in the van with Tony earlier. He took the van and left us here.

He walks closer to the barn but when he sees their bodies on the floor, he starts to run inside.

He kneels by there bodies and he quickly goes through his pockets to find what looks like his phone.

When he gets it, he starts browsing through it looking for a number. I get up slowly, tiptoe to him and I hit him on the back of his head with the crowbar. He makes a loud sound before falling on the ground unconscious.

Damn. I'm pretty good at this.

I take the crowbar with me and I run to the car. When I get inside, I put on my seatbelt and I close the door.

The idiot left it running so I pull down the lever to reverse back out the car on the road and I pull the lever to drive and I'm on my way.

Ava. Everything's gonna be okay. We are coming to get you. Stay on the phone. We're are almost there.

His words are repeated throughout my head. Over and over again. I heard him telling me this twenty minutes ago through the phone.

He told me to keep calm. To stay on the phone. That he's coming. But I couldn't.

No... I can't.

Blood is everywhere. All over my body. I didn't want this. I don't want him. I just need to get home. I want to go home. To my mom.

Tears start to stream down my face. I wipe them away with the back of my hand.

It's for the best Ava. He's the reason why you were kidnapped. Don't look back.

I look at the dark road ahead of me and I see two headlights shining. It is an ongoing car, its coming in my direction on its lane; so I do not bother, I ignore it and keep on driving.

As it approaches something catches my eye, the car is changing lanes, driving the wrong way which is exactly on my path. I try to draw the other driver's attention by blinking the lights and as the car approaches, I even honk the horn. But the driver of the other car does not react and we are fast approaching head-on.

Within a few seconds, my life is going to change if I don't do something. I must change my lane but the other lane is under construction.

If I brake the car then the mirror will hit me from behind. So I keep on honking and counting the seconds which remain until the impact.

In just five seconds, my whole life flashes before my eyes. In front of me, I see my mom and my friends from school. I see Cora and Elijah. I even see him. Noah.

I prepare myself for the collision and as it happens, I close my eyes, using my other senses.

I hear the shattering of the glass, the twisting of metal and breaking of plastic.

As I am pushed forward with the impact, an explosion hits me hard on my face and something is pulling me back. It was the airbag and safety belt.

Then I hear nothing but silence, I think I'm dead but I know that I am still breathing.

I can hear voices around me, someone saying, "We can't pull her out!"

A male voice tells me, "Don't worry, you'll be fine! Stay with us!"

I cannot feel the pain and my whole body is numb.

Within a few minutes, I can hear the siren of the ambulance and firefighters are busy working, cutting open my car; then I am pulled out and put on a stretcher then loaded on the ambulance.

I hear a voice, "We are losing her!" And I hear another voice yelling out my name and I can't remember anything else after that.