Chapter 35: Aunt Susie

Cameron's P.O.V:
"Where is she mom?"

"I don't know Cam, she was supposed to be here 20 minutes ago." We sit down at a bench. We arrived about 30 minutes ago and we're stuck waiting for my Aunt Susan to come and pick us up. She was my mom's younger sister. She was the baby of the family. Susan had married a very wealthy man in her twenties. She soon found out that he was very mean and abusive. One night when he was beating the death out of her she fought back and he fell off the third story balcony. His neck snapped from the fall. In court it was settled that all of his money and belongings were left in his will to my Aunt Susan. She inherited millions of dollars, all of his houses, everything. She now resides here in Florida, in a humongous mansion where she lives alone. We all know that she has plenty of men over if you know what I mean.

"Can you try calling her again? Please." I was tired of this airport. As if she had read my mind Aunt Susan could be seen walking towards us. Her short curly blonde hair sat evenly on her small round head. Her smile stretched from cheek to cheek. Her teeth shone pearl white.

"Hey sister." She's says smiling still, pulling my mom into a hug.

"Susan how have you been. I've missed you so much."

"I've missed you too Gina." She looked over at me. She and my mother were both shorter than me. "This can't be my little Cameron?! Last time I saw you, you were this tall." She extend her arm, her hand about at her shoulder. "You've grown so much." She wrapped her arms around. She was always such a happy person.

"I've missed you too Aunt Susie." Her name was Susan but I sometimes called her Susie.

"Come on. My limo driver is waiting."

"How come you were so late?" asked my mom.

"Oh I got caught up with paperwork. Looked at he clock and realized I was late."

"So mom was telling me about this new guy you're with?" I asked.

"Oh." She looked around frivolously. I don't think she was expecting me to ask this question. "He's uh... he's great. We're madly in love." She turned around and smiled at me.

"Well I'm glad your madly in love." my mom said laughing. I definitely sensed some lying in Aunt Susie's voice. I wonder why my mom hadn't heard we lying. We boarded her limo, a man dressed in almost all white putting our bags in the back.

"So you guys have any big breaking news?" Me and my mom look at each other. No big news I could think of. "You got yourself a girlfriend yet?" My mom laughs a little bit. "What, what's so funny?" questions my aunt. I guess we haven't told her about my being gay.

"I guess we do have big news." I say smiling. She looked at my mom then back at me. "I'm gay Aunt Susie."

"Oh. Ohhh. Well I guess that would mean you don't have a girlfriend." She laughs, taking a drink of alcohol. "So do you have a boyfriend?"

"I do actually."

"Well tell me all about him."

"His name is Shawn Mendes. You may have heard some of his music, maybe. Well he's a little bit shorter than me, had beautiful brown hair, dreamy brown eyes, and like the cutest face you've ever seen." I scrolled through my phone looking for my best picture of him. It never dawned on my how many selfies we've actually taken. There's a lot. I pull up my favorite picture and show him to her.

"Oh, well he's very cute. How'd you guys meet?"

"Well we actually met about 4 years ago. We're both in this group called MAGCON. Our half year anniversary is actually getting ready to come up."

"Oh, well that's cool. When could you tell you had feelings for him?"

"Honestly I think I always knew. Just like being around him made me happier. He felt like the part of me that I've always been missing my entire life." I pull up my shirt to itch my stomach.

"Where'd you get that scar?" she asked surprised, pointing at my bullet scar. I run my fingers over it. A flashback of me jumping in front of that bullet for Shawn replays in my head. He looked so scared, so helpless. I'd do anything to protect him.

"Un, a couple months ago this very crazy guy was obsessed with Shawn and tried to kidnap him. I took out Josh, he's the guy that was obsessed with Shawn. I shot him thinking he was down and went to attend to Shawn. Well he got up with the gun and pointed it at us. He fired the bullet at Shawn, but I moved in front of him. I took the bullet for Shawn." I looked back down at my scar. I hated it and loved it at the same time. I hated it because I thought it was ugly. I loved it because it was a daily reminded of what I did, and what I would always do for Shawn.

"That's amazing Cameron." She was so surprised.

"Well thank you." I say smiling. I drop my shirt down.

"So when did you find out you know, you were gay?" I had never really thought about it before.

"I don't really know. I think I was probably 8 or 9 when I started realizing that I liked different things then all the other boys I went to school with. I had to suppress all of those feelings for so long. It feels good to be open."

"Well I'm happy for you. That was probably very difficult for you."

"Surprisingly I think it was a lot easier for me. I had someone to help me get through it, and love me along the way. Shawn made me realize that it shouldn't matter what other people think about me, that only how I feel matters when it comes to myself."

"Well I can't wait to meet him. Why didn't you bring him with us?"

"He went camping with all of our friends."

"Oh." She took a drink of alcohol.

"What?" I question. That 'oh' sounded like she was hinting at something.

"Nothing. Nothing."

"You have to tell me now Aunt Susie."

"I just think you must really trust him to let him go camping with a bunch of guys."

"Well it's not like any of them are gay."

"Cameron, people used to think you weren't gay." Maybe she was right. What if one of the guys was gay, and Shawn did something this weekend with them. He wouldn't do that to me would he? No. I need to trust him. I'll text him.

"I trust him Aunt Susie. I'm sure if I texted him right now he'd respond within the minute."

"Ok." she said. I pulled out my phone and went to iMessage.

Cam: "Hey😘"

I sit and look at my phone. Give it a few seconds Cam. What if he's busy right now. He probably is. "He's probably jut busy right now." I say, looking at my Aunt Susie .

"Ok." she says not believing me.

"Also he's camping, so what if he doesn't have service."

"That's true, I'll give you that one." I looked out the window and we were pulling into the driveway of the huge mansion.

"I love your house Aunt Susie. I feel like it gets bigger every time we come here." I look over at my mom, who'd fallen asleep. I shake her awake. We go in, the serviceman take our bags to our room and we sit down to eat dinner. The sun was just now starting to set. "I'm gonna head off to bed. See you guys in the morning."

"Goodnight Cam, love you."

"Love you too mom."