Chapter Five

Cress and Selene sat down, each with some iced tea on a sofa in the royal sitting room. They took a walk together, and Cress wanted to catch up with Selene. "So, how is wedding planning?" Cress asked, wanting to know the details of planning a royal wedding. 

"Oh, just great. And, considering the wedding is literally in two weeks, we haven't done much of it. It has mostly been Konn Torin and wedding planners."

"Why haven't you guys been doing it? Isn't it your wedding?" Cress asked, concerned for her friend.

"Yes, it is our wedding, but, we are also emperor and future empress. Apparently, we have to have a traditional, royal wedding." Selene sighed a frustrated sigh. Cress put a hand on her friends lap.

"And that's not what you want, huh?" 

"Yeah, it isn't."

"Then why don't you make it what you want? You have your dream guy, why can't you have your dream wedding?"

"Because, like you said, my dream guy, is emperor of the Eastern Commonwealth. And, we have to have a traditional royal extravaganza." Selene threw her hands up in even more  frustration. It felt nice to vent to someone. If only Cress knew how stressful the past two weeks had been. Sure, she spent much more time with Kai, but that came at a cost. She had been spending many meetings and press conferences getting criticized by people who were going to be hers one day. And that alone was stressful, not to mention her many things she was doing for Lunar and cyborg rights. It now wasn't the wedding she was concerned for. All of sudden, Cress came out of deep thought , 

"I know what will cheer you up!! Let's go look at wedding dress."

"I don't know, Kai is going to be here any minute. We should wait til we tell him I am trying on my dress." 

"Naw, it will be fine, cmon." Cress pushed Selene into the bedroom Selene had been given until the wedding. There the dress hung, right on the closet. It was a beautiful, full skirt gown, with a little lace. It was a very simple gown. As soon as Selene put it on, however, just like she predicted, Kai came in,
"Hey Sel-," Kai stopped short and ducked out if the room.
"KAITO!!!!!!!" Selene yelled, pulling the dress over her head. After she redressed, she stepped out of her room. She had her arms folded over her chest, and she was giving her the death stare. Kai closed the gap between them and kissed her on the cheek before mumbling "I'm sorry," over and over again. He defiantly did not mean to come in like that. But, Selene wasn't bothered by his unannounced arrival, she was worried about the superstition about the groom seeing the dress before the wedding. Immediately, he sensed what she was thinking. "Do you want a new dress?"
"Is there time for that?" Selene asked.
"No, probably not."
"I don't know why I'm even worrying, its just a superstition. Nothing to worry about, right?" Selene said rambling. Then, Thorne walked in, smug as usual.
"Hello," he said, strutting in. "My fine, empress, Thorne said, sitting on a couch. "Oh, FYI, it is not superstition that I am extremely handsome." Thorne cast a glance at Selene, who in frustration, got up and walked away. Kai grabbed for her hand, but she dodged his hand and left. "Who used her tools? Was it you?" Thorne asked, making the best of a bad situation.
"No, I didn't steal one of her tools. Cress had Selene try her wedding dress on, to make her feel better about this whole wedding thing, and I accidentally walked in." Thorne nodded in understanding, and went to go get Cress. When they left, Kai went to comfort Selene, who was asleep on the couch. Kai had just been there a couple of minutes, and all of the sudden Selene was screaming in pain. He only saw her like this once, when Levana stabbed her. Kai didn't know what to do, so he quickly grabbed her hand, and shook her awake. When she finally woke up, she was rubbing her arms. When she fully got over her nightmare, she was aware of Kai's presence.Then, she told Kai everything, from wedding frustrations, to criticism, and everything in between. Kai was thoroughly surprised at what she said. He felt so bad, because, he had no idea what was going on. Either he really didn't know his fiancee, or his fiancee was really good at masking her emotions. Probably the first one. He was so caught up in the fact he was going to marry the woman he loves, he completely forgot to ask he what she wanted. He was trying to make her happy, but the entire time, he was making her more upset. "Selene, I'm sorry. I should have paid more attention to you." Selene shook her head.

"Kai, it isn't your fault, you don't have to worry. Now, I just have a really bad feeling about this wedding."

"What do you mean?" Kai asked, clearly concerned. 

"I dunno, what if that superstition is true, and somehow it affects our wedding?"

" Well, it has never happened before," Kai said, shrugging his shoulders, and getting up to get the net screen turned on. Selene beat him to it, using her head to turn the net screen on. All of the sudden it blared to life, scaring Kai, making him bump his head. "Ouch, what was that for?"

"I dunno," Selene said, laughing, "I just felt like helping,"

"Well, for the record, that wasn't helping." Kai said, rubbing his head. Selene got up to get an ice pack from the freezer. 

"I know," Selene said smiling and handing it over to him.

"So, what do you want to do about the wedding? Do you want to postpone it? We can if you want," Kai said, ranting. Selene covered his hand in hers.

"Kai, there is noting we can do now. What it is, is what it is. We cant change it, we are way to close to the wedding." Kai smiled, and drifted off, into a peaceful sleep, with the woman he loves, right next to him.