Chapter Nine

Kai bent down and kissed Selene. Her eyes fluttered for a moment, before lying back in the bed. Kai hopped in next to her, waiting for the doctor to come in. There wasn't much room, but they made it work. "Ouch," Selene said, as an IV needle went deeper. Kai was quick to apologize, as he took the needle halfway out, and pushed it in a little further. Selene yelped in pain as he took it all the way out, and set it on the table. He then called for a nurse to put it back in. As she left, Thorne walked in, "Was' up doc?" Thorne asked, expecting the doctor to be there, unannounced and barging in, Thorne's specialty.

"Doc ain't here yet." Kai answered.

"Where is he?" Thorne asked, tauntingly. Cress was in the shadows, watching from behind the door. When the girls called, she went back to sit by them, where Selene longed to be. By the time Selene put her focus back on the boys ,Thorne put his hands up in surrender as he walked out. He knew how Kai's temper could be when it came to his girl. They wanted their quiet time, before anyone came to take Selene away for surgery.

"What a douche." Selene said not even knowing what the conversation was about,as she opened up her port. She was playing her game for awhile, when the doctor came in, ready to rock. He gave both of them consent forms, stating non- liability in the event of unfortunate occurrence, towards any staff. Kai didn't want to sign it, but he had too. He just had to remind himself the is was for Selene, for her to be happy, which was the ultimate goal. He looked at Selene, as she nearly signed "Cinder," but she noticed her mistake and she put "Selene". She smiled that gorgeous smile as Kai pulled her into a quick kiss, before he hopped off of the bed, and she was wheeled out. Kai watched as she waved one last time, and she disappeared down the long corridor to the unknown. Kai watched her until he could no longer see her. When she fully left behind the large surgery doors, Kai went into the waiting room. The crew met him with worried looks and concerns, and he told them everything was fine. When everyone was told what was going on, and assured for the most part Selene was okay, Kai went to prepare to give a press conference. The worst part of this. Kai didn't want his business to be everyone else's, but, they deserved to know what was going on. They  were going to be her people one day anyway. As he approached the conference room, Kai had to do a second take. He coulda swore he recognized someone, but he paid no mind. Probably lack of sleep, he thought while he met thousands of cameras and reporters. He smiled his best encouraging smile as he took to the podium.  "People of the Commonwealth, you have been anxiously awaiting any news regarding our beloved Princess. Well, she has gone into surgery, and will be out at about 3 o'clock. This surgery is a spinal cord repair, and should fix a lot of problems", like a bullet hole. No, wait, sometimes our doctors cant even do that, Kai thought, smiling at his own joke, "Any questions?" He asked, smiling. The reporter in the front raised her hand, and Kai pointed to her.
"What is her current condition?" She asked, notepad perched ever so perfectly on her lap. She pushed up her glasses, as Kai answered,

"Well, for now, her future, it is uncertain due to the surgery." He pointed to another reporter, who was the guy from before. Kai pointed to him again, signaling him to ask his question, "Does the future empress have any living family, that can take her place, if something, unfortunate happens?" Kai merely gawked at the man with the rest of the room, while the awkward question hung in the air, before composing himself and answering,

"No, not that we know of. And, she will NOT be dying any time soon, if that is your question." Kai angrily moved on to the next question, only to be saddened further, at what questions he was answering. 

"And that will be all, thank you so much for your time," at making me miserable. Kai thought, as Konn Torin led him off the stage before any more questions could be asked about the empress. Kai was taking this hard enough, he didn't need people trying to find out from him how Selene is doing. 

When Kai was in the hall talking to Konn Torin, and getting ready for the global leaders meeting, the reporter that asked the first question stopped him, with that guy he recognized heading into the press conference, that asked the rude question. Konn Torin also recognized him, and stepped in front of the Emperor. Even though the threat was made against Selene, precautions had to be made."Your Majesty," they said as they bowed, both in unison. Something was different about the girl. She no longer had glasses on, and her bun was not on top of her head, it was down by her back.

"If these are questions regarding the future empress, you may wait until the next press conference to ask them." Konn Torin said, politely excusing them. The reporter smiled her sweetest smile, then manipulated Konn Torin into walking away. Kai just stood there in astonishment. She made him walk away with such ease, it was familiar. She walked around, pretending to care about the various paintings on the walls, as she eyed the emperor, who was frozen in place. The man, and another, stood at both doors. Probably guards, Kai thought, the young, strange woman stopped her circling, and spoke in the sweetest voice, which was probably fake.

 "Emperor Kaito, or should I say, future brother in law. I have a request." the mystery girl said, smiling.