Chapter Forty Two

Selene opened her eyes to Kai sleeping next to her in a hospital bed yet again. What was strange about it this time, was that she remembered the events that led up to her getting hospitalized. She just wanted clarification that that just wasn't a dream, so, she prodded Kai in the stomach, and he awoke instantly. "So, what happened this time?" Selene asked.

Kai then proceeded to tell the story from beginning to end. It was then she realized that she had bandages atop her head and ribs. "So, what happened to Jasmine? Is she okay? What did that devil do to our daughter? I swear if she hurt a hair in our daughter's head I wil-" Selene was stopped by Kai.

"Only thing she did was kidnap Jasmine. She was not hurt," Kai said calmly. Selene breathed a sigh of relief as she felt the room slowly start to spin once again. She put a hand to her throbbing forehead, and released a sigh of relief when the walls stopped rotating around her. Kai looked at her with worry, before she asked him to get a pen and paper. He obeyed and went to get the items she requested.

When he came back, Selene took the pen and paper, and dismissed him, with a wave of her hand. On the paper she wrote.

Dearest Jasmine,
Today was, quite the adventure for you. You experienced the very dangers of this world, and you stuck with it. I was only three years old when I experienced the real world, and even then it was hard, so I'm proud of you. The reason I'm writing this letter, is so that you know how much I love you still, no matter how many times I have to save you from people who are dangerous. Always remember one thing, Jasmine. You will always be my little star.
-Your mother,
Empress Selene

When she was finished, she sealed it in yet another envelop, and asked a servant to drop that off at her desk. She then asked for Kai and her daughter.

Any traumatization the child had, was gone when she saw her mom, who, despite the circumstances, did not mind the happy screams her daughter yelled, in satisfaction of being with her mom, for the first time since the incident. Selene was also overjoyed to see her daughter so happy to see her mother. Kai was happy that both his girls were with him, and in one piece. This was one happy family.

After the rejoicing of the family, Selene wanted to get walking again, much to Kai's dismay. But, as times past, he agreed, and put an arm around Selene's waist, to help her stand. The doctor waited at the door to check her over once more. When he noticed she was walking with only a bit of tipsiness, he released her from the hospital wing yet again.

When Selene and Kai arrived at the house, the Rampion Crew was setting up a surprise party for Selene, so !kai went in. Telling them Selene was recovering a lot faster than expected, they told him to take Selene out on a romantic date, while they finished setting up. Kai agreed, and gave them Jasmine for the day. 

While on their way to the press conference room, to give a conference as to why Selene has lumps of bandages on her ribs and head, Kai and Selene walked hand in hand down the corridors leading to the conference room. The white marble floors glistened in the early afternoon light, being emitted from a bright and burning sun. It was late February, and these were unseasonably warm temperatures door that time of year.

Kai was thinking about the warm temperatures, when he decided Selene and him would take a little detour to the conference room. He led her through the gardens, which were also illuminated in the light, which made for a very romantic walk. To end the walk, Selene and Kai came across the cherry blossom tree that had their names engraved in the trunk. Selene smiled when she saw little buds forming on the tree, the first sign of spring.

When finished with the walk, Kai and Selene came into the press conference room, where the room was a buzz with reporters and journalists, who were assigned to come and hear what the emperor and empress had to say.

Kai was the first to speak. "Good afternoon. Now, I know all of you are wondering the current condition of Her Majesty, the Empress. Well, I can tell you that she is most certainly fine, except for a major concussion, and several cracked ribs. I will let her tell you what happened," Kai said. He steeped off of the podium, so Selene could speak.

"What happened was, I was heading down the stairs in the house, when I tripped and fell. Simply put, I got a  concussion, and a couple cracked ribs. Thus, landed in the hospital. Now I am just fine, and will not be taking questions today. Thank you!" Selene said, before getting off the stage.

Kai led her into a small back room, before asking. Selene. "Why in the heck did you lie to our subjects? They could help us track that lunatic!" Kai said.

"That's the thing," Selene said in a barely audible voice.

"What do you mean, 'that's the thing'?" Kai asked, getting annoyed.

"You know what she's capable of, right?" Selene asked, voice rising. Kai nodded, and she continued. "Well, imagine if some mob goes after her, not knowing of what she can do, and they all get killed. Then, on the plus side, everyone will get into this tizzy, because there is another Queen Levana out there. I can't risk anyone getting hurt because of me, I've already hurt enough people," Selene said, her gaze dropping to the floor. Kai looked at her concerned, before calling off the party via comm. Him and Selene had some talking to do.

When Kai and Selene got to the house, there was not one remainder of the party that was in the process of being set up, and Kai was happy for that. He sat Selene down, and asked her. "Selene, who in the world have you hurt?" 

"You and Jasmine. You both could have died. Selene said.

"You would have to, had I not found you," Kai said soothingly.

"When it comes to this sort of stuff, I don't care. The entire time I was in captivity, I was looking for a way to get out, so that my daughter, could grow up with a mother, unlike I did," Selene said. Kai instantly knew what this was about. He sat by Selene, and whispered into her ear.

"Selene, if you ever think that our daughter will not be loved, like you weren't, you are wrong. And don't ever think you aren't loved, because, the stars know, I love you more than anything," Kai said, pulling Selene into a warm embrace, turning to look at stars, that would forever be outshined.