Chapter Forty

Selene looked at her little girl sleeping peacefully. Selene picked her daughter up, and held her close. The little girl opened her eyes, and yawned. Selene smiled, and waved to Jasmine. Jasmine then grabbed her metal hand, and studied it with the intense curiosity of most young kids at that age.

They did this routine several times, before Kai walked in, and wrapped his arms around Selene. She looked up at him, kissed him, and went to make breakfast. Kai was left to watch Jasmine, where there was never a dull moment. She was constantly trying to grab stuff to chew, which was high on shelves.

A little while later, Selene heard the padding of little hands and feet on the linoleum floor, as Kai chased Jasmine into the kitchen. Jasmine looked up at Selene as Selene put the waffles on a plate, and set them in front of Kai. He smiled as he stuffed his face full of the delicious fluffy stuff. Selene laughed, and went back to stirring the batter, making sure Jasmine wasn't underneath her.

After being done with making the waffles, Selene lifted Jasmine into the highchair, and placed the cereal all over. Jasmine then proceeded to stuff it in her mouth by the handfuls. What didn't go in her mouth, would land on the floor, to be picked up by the family dog, Sadie.

Sadie was a small, white and gold dog, that Kai got Selene for their anniversary that he did not forget. When he brought her home nearly four months after the day had passed, Selene was shocked. What was even more surprising, was what was on the nightstand that night in Selene's room.

When she got in her room that night, Selene found a small white envelope, sitting against a box of chocolates and a vase of roses. Selene opened the envelope, and read what it said.

Dear Selene,
Thank you so much, for all you have done for our family. I don't know what I would do, if I didn't have you. When you had Jasmine, I was so scared. Quite honestly, I forgot that you were the one, who ended Levana's tyranny against the people of Luna. Then, once again, I was reminded of how strong you really are. So, as a thank you for all you have done for me, will you accept this ring?
-Emperor Kai.

Selene looked at Kai, who was down on one knee. He had a small black box, and he opened it, revealing a small gold ring. (If none of you know what a mother's ring is, it has her birthstone, along with the birthstones of her kids).There was a topaz and an emerald stone already embedded in the gold ring. There was room for more stones when Selene had more kids.

After breakfast, Selene stared at the ring, admiring it like she always did. It was always a nice reminder of Jasmine, when Selene and Kai were on business. The emerald stone glittered in the light being emitted from the light above her head. The topaz, was a little more dull, and didn't shine as much, kinda like the person it represents. Selene thought the topaz stone was a perfect representation of her.

Selene looked at her daughter as she was playfully crawling across Kai's desk, on a quest for something to chew on. Selene took every pen and pencil sitting on the desk, knowing they could make Jasmine seriously sick. Kai laughed, as Konn Torin sighed, tired of attempting to go over the budgets, what the meeting was all about.

When the meeting was over, again because no one could pay attention, because of the litle one in the room, Kai and Selene dropped Jasmine off at Peony's, so they could have their alone time, which they desperately needed. Selene and Kai, between work and Jasmine, were rarely seeing each other, and that wasn't very good.

When they were in the mountains, Selene realized something on the path. It was a hover stroller, and it looked as if it was dropped from the sky. Hovers rarely were found on their sides. Because of the new technology,accidents happened less and less.

Selene and Kai went over to it, to see if there was a name with it, so they could return it to the family who owned the hover. In the hover stroller, there was a note in an envelope. The note read:

To my dearest Selene,
I have certainly made mistakes, in the rebuilding of our relationship, and I am sorry for them. But, I am not sorry for all of the the threats I have made to you and your family. Surrender the throne of Luna to your most deserving sister, and nothing will happen to your family. If you ignore my request, it will not be a letter in the stroller. I know what your nightmares were about.
           Love,
                    Princess Lydia Rose Blackburn.

After reading the letter, Selene handed it to Kai, who immediately headed towards home. He commed all guards who were off duty to get his daughter from Peony, and under heavy supervision in the Palace. Every other available guard was to go around the Palace and protect the family at any cost.

Later the next day, Kai got done in the office, and headed to Selene and his daughter. They met him at the door with smiles and open arms, which Kai thought was strange, because Selene was never like that.

Later that night, Jasmine was asleep, and Kai's suspicions are confirmed, when Selene and him were watching the late night newsfeeds. "So what do you want to do about the letter Lydia left?" Kai asked.

"What does it matter to you?" Selene asked.

"Um, I'm your husband, and our daughter, who I want to protect, was threatened by your crazy sister," Kai answered.

"Whoever said she was crazy? Maybe she was just trying to get close to you," Selene said getting up and walking away, leaving Kai to wonder what was going on.