Chapter Seven

Kai paced back and forth, as he waited for Selene to come out of surgery. It had been hours, and still no sign of any nurse, that would tell him good or bad news at this point. He had been waiting fore hours. For every nurse that walked by, he would ask them persistently what was going on. They, however, would ignore him, and keep on walking. He was afraid they were keeping the truth from him, that something was really wrong. He would have been happy to just have any news. If Selene was going to die, he wanted to be there, holding her hand. A tear fell from his eye at the thought, as Wolf came and put a reassuring arm around him. Kai and Wolf stayed like this for several minutes, before a nurse came in. "Your Majesty, Selene is out of surgery if you wish to see her. The doctor also wanted to apologize for it taking so long. The bullet was nowhere to be found." Kai nodded as he went in.

The doctor was bent over Selene, readjusting some stitches. "oh, I am sorry, Your Majesty,when I sent the nurse to find you, I assumed you were in your room sleeping." the doctor said as he bowed. Kai shook his head,

"Naw, I was in the waiting room. Wanted to be as near as possible, in case you didn't have good news." Kai said as he claimed the stool the doctor was sitting on. The doctor excused himself, and Kai watched Selene, as her eyes fluttered open.

Selene's POV

"Selene, Selene, hey, wake up," Kai said, grabbing for a glass of water. He lifted it up to Selene's lips, and she gratefully drank. "Are you okay?" He asked, taking her hand.

"Yeah Kai, I'm fine, considering I'm ," she said, trying to push herself up. But, with that action, came excruciating pain. With a yelp of surprise, she collapsed back on to the pillow. Kai put his arm around her as she clutched her stomach. In between gasps, she panted "Kai...tell...me...what...happened."

"You don't remember?" Kai asked with a concerned look.

"Clearly not," Selene said, getting agitated.

"Well, I was going through my vows, when someone shot you."

"Do you know who it was?" Selene asked. Kai shook his head,

"No, not a clue,"

"Are your people that stupid, or is he that good?"
"Well," Kai started.

"Probably both." Selene said, while Kai nodded, embarrassed about the situation.

"Great. I was almost assassinated, and no one is looking for the guy who did it," Selene said with a sigh. But even that hurt. She finally gave up with the pain. "Kai, get out of here, I want to take a nap." Kai nodded his head, and left the room. He paused before exiting, as he looked at his peacefully sleeping fiancee.

As soon as Kai left her room, he called Konn Torin over. "Get every available guy to find the assaulter."

"Yes Your Majesty," Konn Torin said before quickly leaving. Kai walked over to where his friends sat. All at once, the flurry of "How is shes?" and "How is she doings," came at Kai. He sat the crew down and told them how she was doing. When all of the questions were answered, and everyone was assured she was alive, Thorne cleared his throat. "Attention, people of the Rampion crew, I would like to make an announcement." The guys instantly knew what Thorne was doing. "Cress, the more time I spent with you in the desert, The more I fell for you. Then, I realized, that you were to good for me. And, now I know we are perfect for each other. So, Crescent Moon Darnell, will you marry me?
"Yes!" Cress practically screamed. There was a loud bang that came from Selene's room. A flurry of curses soon followed as Kai went in the room to check on Selene. She was wincing in pain, and clutching her right side. Kai rushed over to her, and pulled the ice pack out of the freezer. Soon, everyone followed, including a beaming Cress and Thorne. The minute Cress saw how much pain Selene was in, she rushed over to help Kai. "You know, non of you have to wait on me hand and foot. I'm fine."

"Clearly you are, because you are sitting on a hospital bed, hooked up to a thousand IV needles." Thorne said, gesturing towards the needles. Selene and Cress both shot him death stares.

"Oh,yeah, right. Coming from the guy who says he is a captain, but he is a cadet." Selene answered, letting her head all back on the pillows. Thorne looked offended as the rest of the crew laughed. All of them except Selene of course. Laughing would hurt way to much. She held Kai's hand tight as everyone stopped laughing. All of the sudden, Cress came over, looking cress-fallen, and upset. "This is all my fault, isn't it? You're here because of me!"
"What would make you think that?" Selene asked, looking worried.
"I had you try on you're dress, and Kai saw it." Cress said, burying her face in her hands.
"No, Cress, it isn't your fault, it's mine." Everyone turned to the door. There was the gunman, all dressed in black.
Right away Wolf and Jacin came, and took the gun, and shoved the man on the floor. The rest stood in front of Selene, as more guards came in to question and arrest the man. Wolf stood at his wife's side as the gunman was taken away. After awhile, Selene broke the awkward silence. "Well, that is some thing new. I was skilled at hiding, and felt bad about it, but I didn't turn myself in."
"Um, yeah, you kidnapped an emperor, you didn't shoot a possessive emperor's fiancée." Thorne said, poking fun at Kai's possessiveness of Selene. Kai looked like he was ready to kill Thorne, before the doctor came back in.
"Well, good news everyone. The princess is no longer in critical condition," cheering erupted in the room, "but, I do have some bad news," the cheering that erupted in the room had died down as he put his hands up signaling them to be quiet. "The princess, may never walk again."