Chapter Twenty Four

"You don't think I forgave myself?" Kai asked, grabbing her hand.

"Yes, I do. It seems every time we talk, you're to afraid to say something, that would upset me."

"Well, sad thing is, is I don't know what happened."

"Kai, it is behind us. I forgive you, and every one else does to."

"No, but that still doesn't mean it didn't happen."

"Kai, put it behind you. It is over. I know you are hurt, probably more than I was. But, its okay."

"No, its not. I still messed up, and almost lost you again."

"Kai, the only way I'll forgive you, is if you forgive yourself, because clearly that hasn't happened," Selene said, getting up and walking away. Kai's jaw dropped to the ground, as he rose, and grabbed her arm. She turned around, and looked him dead in the eye, and went into the bedroom.

Kai paced the palace halls. He wanted to apologize to Selene, but, he never was really one for apologies, especially when it came to Selene. But, Kai replayed all of the best and worst moments with Selene, and with all of the courage he could muster, he went in.

Selene was sitting, while Iko was doing her hair. Kai was about to leave them to what they were doing, when Iko excused herself, and disappeared down the corridor. That left the awkward silence between the two of them to grow. Kai rocked back on his heels as he put his hands in his pockets. Selene got up, and rearranged some sort of object in the mantle.

Finally, the awkward silence ended, when Kai threw himself at Selene, pulling her into a tight hug. She quickly melted into the embrace, wrapping her arms around him. Kai kissed her deeply, letting her know that he was willing to forgive himself, if that meant making Selene happy.

After a while of talking and conversing about the upcoming wedding, Kai had to break some bad news. "Selene, there is something I should tell you."

"What is it?" Selene said.

"Well, you know how we are adopting Peony when the time comes?" Selene nodded her head as Kai continued. "Well, we can't."

"Why not?" Selene asked.

"Because she would be our first child. And that would mean she would be heir to the throne, which, can't happen because she isn't born royalty." Selene nodded her head, at what Kai spoke. He could've spoken gibberish, and she would've understood better.

Kai left her to contemplate this, while he went to talk to Konn Torin. They both knew that Selene was heck bent on changing the course of this child's life, and the sooner they adopted Peony, the better chance that would happen. Now it will be years until they can do that.

"Your Majesty," Konn Torin said, bowing. Kai nodded his head, and Konn Torin looked up. "Is their something wrong?" Konn Torin asked.

"Yeah," Kai said, causally.

"Well, tell me what it is so I can help," Konn Torin said, slightly agitated.

"Fine. Selene and I want to adopt a kid from a not so good place, but in order to do that, we need to already have an heir. Which, we won't have until we're married a year. And guess when the wedding is. Its in a year. So, by the time we can adopt the child, it would be nearly three years old, completely defeating  the purpose of getting the kid now." Konn Torin nodded his head, and offered some advice.

"Emperor Kai, maybe it is best, you move the wedding ahead."

"Why ahead?" Kai asked.

"Well, because. You want to adopt the kid as soon as possible, correct? Well, move the wedding ahead, and you've met your goal," Konn Torin said, walking away.

After Kai and Konn Torin talked, Kai went to talk to Selene. Kai had developed a plan, but that involved something, he wasn't sure Selene would go for. Which, was moving the wedding date to May 24th, 128 T.E. That is the date that Kai and Konn Torin worked out. It gave enough time to Kai and Selene for getting ready, it allowed them time to rebuild their relationship, if it needed it. And, it also gave them time to figure out the mess that occurred a week ago.

Kai knocked on the door, and Selene opened it a little. She looked like she was going to cry, but couldn't. Kai stood there for a moment awkwardly, while trying to figure out why Selene held the door so close to the wall. When he was trying to figure this out, he noticed Peony in their room, as well as an adopting agent.

Kai stared blankly at Selene before walking in the room. The man from the agency left, to give the couple their space. Selene was the first to speak. "Kai, I know you don't want to adopt right now, but I had to get him to see what Pearl is doing. Please, don't be mad," Selene said.

"I'm not mad, just surprised. Any way, I think Konn Torin and I figured out some of our problem."

"And what's that?" Selene said, bracing herself for his next words.

"We move the wedding day, to May 24, 128 T.E."  Selene looked taken aback by his statement. Kai nodded his head, as she said,

"Is that so? You want to move the wedding day?" Selene said,  a certain softness in her eye. Kai nodded his head, and tears welled up in his eyes. "Yes, Kai, we can move the wedding day to May 24, 128 T.E." Kai nodded his head in approval, before heading out the door, to finalize arrangements for the day.

After the arrangements were made, and a press conference held, Selene took Kai by the hand, out to the garage where the royal hovers were kept. "What are we doing here?" Kai asked, growing nervous and exited.

"Well, I was hoping we could restore this, as a sort of fun project," Selene said, pulling a blanket off of a gasoline car.