Chapter Twenty Five

Kai stared at the vehicle in front of him. He didn't recognize anything about it. It was practically alien to him, and he didn't know why he even agreed to it, but when he saw Selene's beaming face when she looked at him, he had to say yes. She had that affect on him. She could make him do anything, if she put his mind to it, maybe even using a little thing called the Lunar gift. But, he knew this time, it was his own thoughts, that made him give into her pleading eyes. If his kids had eyes like their mother, he was going to be the worst father.

When he said yes, Selene jumped into his arms, profusely saying thank you. Kai peeled her off of him, and inspected the car. There was an inch layer of dust, it was missing a side mirror and a windshield. The right rear window was busted, and all of the seats were really really dirty. Kai couldn't fathom how or why Selene wanted to fix this, but she did, so Kai did to. And, it would make her happy, so what the heck.

"What the heck," Kai said, looking at the mess of wires under the hood. Selene had been showing him diagram after diagram on the car at dinner, and still, he knew nothing about the car. It wasn't like he had a blue print downloaded into his head or something.

"Kai, over here," Selene said, holding two wires an inch apart. Kai came over, and held them as instructed. Selene came over, and snapped a picture. Kai looked at her like she was nuts, and she said she just wanted a picture to show her friends proof that they were still together.

Start of Comm Link

SeleneLihnBlackburnDarnell-Kaito was up guys?

WinterHayleBlackburn your not mad at us?

SeleneLihnBlackburnDarnell-Kaito no, why would I be?

ScarletBenoitKesley um, do you remember how our conversation ended last time we talked?

SeleneLihnBlackburnDarnell-Kaito um, yes?

CressSoontobeThorne why with a question mark?

SeleneLihnBlackburnDarnell-Kaito because I really don't remember. A lot happened since our last conversation.

WinterHayleBlackburn what could've  happened, we talked yesterday.

SeleneLihnBlackburnDarnell-Kaito well, we changed the wedding day, made amends, we got a gasoline car to repair together.

CressSoontobeThorne NO WAY!! YOU MADE AMENDS??

SeleneLihnBlackburnDarnell-Kaito yep. Goodbye, Kai and I are gonna work on the car. See you guys at dinner?

ScarletBenoitKesley, CressSoontobeThorne, and WinterHayleBlackburn sure. See you then.

End of Comm Link

Selene leaned in under the hood, and the smell of car fuel hit her nose. She wrinkled her nose in disgust, as she motioned for Kai to hand her the rag on the counter next to them. He obeyed her command, and she held it to her nose, blocking out the smell. She was happy, despite the rotten smell, leaking everything, dusty every other thing, because this was where she belonged. Sure, she was engaged to the emperor of the Eastern Commonwealth, but, she truly belongs where it smells the worst, and work is hard. 

Later, all of the crew members were waiting for Selene and Kai, to get in the big sitting room, next to the kitchen. They were all chatting, and didn't notice Pearl come in, and take her child back home. She was drunk out of her mind, and didn't know the later consequences her actions would later have.

Finally, Selene and Kai came in,and were all cleaned up, holding hands. The crew was dumbfounded, and for a second, forgot to rise to their feet. Selene smiled her smile, before heading into her room to get Peony. "Guys, did any of you happen to see Peony wandering around?" Selene asked, when she came out.

"Uh, no, she's right here," Winter said, pointing at  Peony.

"No, not that Peony, Pearl's Peony," Selene said, getting worried. Everyone then started frantically looking for the AWOL child. They contacted guards and palace officials to look for the child. She could walk, so, she could've been anywhere.

After awhile of looking, the crew decided that the child wasn't in the palace. So, Kai and Selene put on there grey sweatshirts and cloaks, to go into the night, to find the missing child.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was pouring rain, and pitch black. Selene, even though she was wearing a cloak, was chilled to the bone. Kai offered her his sweatshirt often, but she refused, knowing he needed it to. Everyone from the market went home because of the rain, so there was no point in the extra layers, except to keep them warm. Every once in a while, rain would ping off of her metal hand, into the puddles below. The pouring rain didn't cease, it just got harder and harder. 

After an hour of looking, Kai and Selene reached the edge of town. The street lights disappeared, as well as awnings, giving them no protection whatsoever, from the unrelenting rain. Selene and Kai went through puddle after puddle, each time being earful not to be to loud, in case the child was calling for them.  

When Kai and Selene were completely out of city limits, they stopped to rest by an old warehouse. When Selene leaned against the door, there was a rustle of branches. Selene held out her weapon, which was a dagger. From out of nowhere, Wolf came, teeth bared, and growling. He looked slightly confused, until he signaled to the crew to come over. They all followed out of the brush,  just as soaking as Kai and Selene.

After awhile, the crew discussed the best course of action, and started on their way. Last minute, however, Selene turned around. When she did, she saw there was a light on in the warehouse. She signaled for the crew to come over. When they did, they crouched down by a barrel, that probably held gasoline or something in the second era. 

Selene was the one to offer to go investigate. When she did, Kai tried to stop her, but he knew her mind was made up, so he kissed her in the pouring rain, as if to say goodbye. He let her go, as she walked carefully to the warehouse. She  didn't know what was in there, but she knew the child didn't run away, she knew, Peony was kidnapped. Big question was, by who?