Chapter Forty Five

Kai stared at his two kids, before noticing he had to take them. He did, and stared lovingly at both of them. It was then he realized that his son, had black hair and brown eyes. His daughter, had frizzy brown hair, and brown eyes, just like Selene.

Then it hit him. When the nurse was about to leave into the room, he asked. "What is Selene's condition?" The nurse answered.

"We cannot be sure." At her words, Kai dropped them into her arms, and went to talk to the only person he knew could help him, Konn Torin.

When he got to Konn Torin's room, Kai only had to knock once, before the door was opened. Konn Torin's hair was unusually messy, and he had bags under his eyes. He bowed, and welcomed the Emperor into his room.

Kai nodded, and sat down on the desk chair. They sat in silence for awhile, before Kai asked. "What will I do without Selene?" Konn Torin thought a moment, before answering.

"I, quite honestly, don't for see a future without her," Konn Torin said. Kai nodded his head, and said.

"So, I'm not the only one who sees what we have?"

"No, you are not. Everyone in the kingdom sees that you and Selene love each other very much. Kai, I have known you your whole life, and never have I seen you this happy," Konn Torin couldn't finish what he was saying, for the tears overwhelmed him.

Kai, however, knew what he was saying. Even Konn Torin wouldn't know what to do if Selene left. When Konn Torin first met Selene, he hated her, but, didn't let it show. When he found out who she was, he understood, and grew to love the quirks he once hated.

Kai, leaving the discussion at that, went to see the progress on Selene. He knew something had to have changed since he left. He was thinking the worst, and that wouldn't change, until he got to the room.

When he got to the room, the doctors and nurses scurried about, bringing diapers one way, bottles another.  When he came in the room though, none of that mattered, because he was looking for Selene.

He finally found her, a midst the chaos, laying still in a bed. When he did, all of the nurses and doctors left, so he could mourn. They all were upset.

After awhile, the scanner started beeping. It beeped once, and then it beeped again. Kai looked up, and Selene's hand squeezed his. Then, her eyes fluttered open. He didn't even need to call the doctors before they rushed in.

Kai was overjoyed that Selene survived. He thought she died, and he would have to raise a grieving child and twins all on his own, whilst grieving. Now he was assured he wouldn't. He knew Selene would be his for a long time.When all of the happy emotions died down, Kai fell into a deep sleep.

Kai woke up to Cress shaking him awake. In her arms was the baby girl, and Thorne had the baby boy. Kai wanted to take the child, in fear of Thorne dropping him. He was to tired to do anything but stare at the ceiling, until he heard Cress's faint voice say something about Selene.

Kai ran into the room next to him, finding Selene asleep, and not dead. He sat down on the stool next to the bed. He looked at her still face, covered in sweat. And her mechanical hand, which looked pretty in the light.

While he was staring at the hand, he saw it twitch, once, and then twice. He looked at her chest as she controlled her lungs yet again. Then her eyes, as they fluttered open yet again. She smiled as she recalled who was next to her.

She tried to sit up, and gave up, falling back onto the pillows. Kai smiled, as Selene closed her eyes. When she did, they snapped back open, and before she could say anything, he nodded his head, and ordered the twins be brought to Selene.

When they came in, Selene held them, and studied every feature. She smiled when the girl yawned, ands when her son cried, she whispered sweet nothings into his ear.

Kai looked at his family, and smiled when the other member came into the room. She ran as fast as she could into her mother's arms, careful not to smush her new siblings. Kai took the twins, while Jasmine and Selene talked.

Then, Jasmine asked to hold her siblings, and Kai and Selene let her. First, she held the girl, and then the boy. She looked at them lovingly, stroking their hair, and playing with their fingers.

When Jasmine was done with the twins, Kai took them to Selene, while he went to make dinner, for Jasmine and himself. Jasmine held his hand, while humming to a tune, foreign to her. She didn't know where she knew it, but she did. It was a soft and simple tune. Almost like a lullaby.

When they were done with dinner, they found Selene talking to the crew members. Kai and Jasmine walked in, arm in arm, smiling like the ones that they love didn't nearly die. Each crew member stood, and Selene managed to hold her fist to her heart. Kai and Jasmine repeated the action, and sat down on the bed.

After talking for awhile, Jasmine was asked to go to bed. She argued, but, immediately obeyed under her mother's glare. Kai laughed, and put his arm around Selene, who willingly laid into his arm. The crew members got up and left, one by one. They each congratulated the couple, and retired to their rooms after the long and eventful day.

Finally, after all the chaos, Selene and Kai were finally alone. Then, it occurred to Kai. He leaned next to an almost asleep Selene and asked. "What are the kid's names?" Selene responded after a moment of thinking.

"Rikan Kaito, and Jade Selene."