Chapter Forty Nine

Jasmine waited outside her mother's room. Kai was heard talking with the doctor and Konn Torin, and every time someone walked out of the room to grab a cup of coffee for Kai, she would think they were coming to tell her that her mother's death was her fault. Her nerves were completely shot, and when Leo came to comfort her, she was scared out of Herr mind. "Leo! You scared me!" Jasmine said.

"He he. Jas, lighten up. I just came to bring you something to eat. You haven't eaten for a week," Leo said.

"Well, I'm worried sick for mom, I really can't eat right now," she said.

"Aw, c'mon, Jas. Your mom will be fine. She's survived worse than this. My parents told me the story of their first wedding, where she was told she would never walk again. Then, a week goes by, and BAM! she's back on her feet," Leo said.

When Jasmine agreed with him, and settled down to the pie he brought her, Kai came in. Leo got off the bench, while Jasmine put the pie on the end table. "So how is she doing dad?" Jasmine asked.

"Well, she hasn't woken up yet, but," Kai said.

"Just spit it out!" Jasmine said.

"She will be fine," Kai finished.

"I'm sorry, I'm just on end," Jasmine said.

"Aren't we all," Kai said under set his breath. As he rose to go into the room, Jasmine could have swore she saw a tear escape from his eye.

"Dad? Are you crying?" Jasmine asked. Kai turned around, and sighed, sitting down.

"Yeah. Why wouldn't I? My wife, she is the strongest woman I know, but I feel like any second she could leave me," Kai said. Jasmine was shocked. She had never seen her dad open up like this.

"Dad? You love mom like that?" Jasmine asked.

"Of course I do. She, she has completed me to the point where I'm content and happy. I, I've been with her through everything. I don't think that I can do this," Kai said.

"Dad! Come to your senses. Mom isn't dying! She got shot in the shoulder! Not the head!" Jasmine said.

"I know, but she is to important, I can't help but worry. From the moment I met her, I knew she was special. Her, messy hair, carefree attitude, and cargo pants and military boots, that all caught my eye. Your mother, she is the love of my life," Kai said, tears threatening to escape.

"You are the love of my life to, Kai," Selene said, standing by the open door. Kai and Jasmine went to help her, but she shooed them off. Kai sat down next to her, while she made sure Jasmine wasn't hurt. Next, she gave her a hug, but Jasmine pulled away. "Mom, don't you hate me for running away, then getting kidnapped, then you almost getting killed?" Jasmine asked.

"No! What would make you think that?"

"Mom, your not upset that you almost died?" Jasmine asked.

"No. Almost dying is second nature to me," Selene said laughing. Kai snorted, and Selene continued. "Jasmine, you are my daughter, and I will do anything to protect you. I jumped in front of you, to save you. She had that gun pointed at you, and the only thing I knew how to do, was be a mother," Selene said. 

Kai put his arm around Selene as they left. Jasmine put her arm out, and both of her parents stopped. "Mom, dad, now that I have you both here, could you tell me about the past?"

"What past?" Selene asked.

"You know, the one when you and dad met and stuff," Jasmine said.

"Follow us," was all Selene said.