1

Braelynn's POV

I sit on the far end of the bench with my mother, older brother along with younger sister as my father stands behind the podium watching people walk up to the open casket to say their last goodbyes and get their last looks at the dead boy. 

I don't really know him that well, I know his name was Marquan and that he was shot 3 times by a rival gang. He went to my school before he died, he only hung out with other members of the gang he was apart of. He was never really in class, he didn't do any of his work, he had tattoos all over his body and always had his pants hanging lower than his waist. Someone my father taught me to stay away from, so I did as I was told. 

"Braelynn come on, we need to go to the burial." My older brother, Noah says while shaking me.  I stand up and follow my brother out of the church into the limo. It was a limo just for the preacher's family which included my brother Noah, my sister Lexi, my mother Valerie and my father Kevin. 

My father was the last to enter as he slams the door shut. You could tell he was angry. 

"Kevin, honey calm down." My mother says while rubbing his thigh shoothingly. 

"I'm trying but this is ridiculous. He's a gangster, the gang leader was sitting right up front along with the young man's mother while she was grieving. He didn't shed didn't shed a tear, meanwhile the mother is crying and pleading The Lord that her soon will go to heaven but he's ended many lives before, but if God can forgive him for his sins so can I." My father finishes as we drive to the cemetery where Marquan is being buried. 

After 15 minutes we arrive to the cemetery and drive to the place where his casket is supposed to be put in. My father, then mother, Noah, Lexi and then me get out. Noah holds his hand out for me to take as I step out. We're one of the first ones here but you can see more cars arriving with the orange looking stickers you're given in their windshield. 

My father stands in front of the hole with the bible in his hand, but the rest of the family stands a couple feet behind him, where the rest of the people will stand. Six strong boys carry the casket out and position it the right way. 

The gang leader, Marquan's mother and younger brother get out of a limo and walk over to us. I can tell my father is a little nervous and uncomfortable because he keeps adjusting his tie. The gang leader stands on the opposite side of me.

He holds a hard face, with his head held high, his hands are folded together in front of him as he stands up straight. His shining diamond earrings catch my eye as he takes his sun glasses off. I look away as soon my brother whispers in my ear. 

"Stop looking at him, he's killed people for looking at him too long." Noah says, so I direct my eyes to my father as more and more people start to gather in a wide circle around the casket.

My father starts speaking and saying the final prayer but as he's talking I couldn't help but glance at the leader once more. 

 The casket begins to be lowered into the ground and Marquan's mother lets out a loud sob, which makes we look at her. She's curled up into the side of her son watching as the casket goes farther and farther into the ground. 

Soon it's all the way in and time for everyone to start leaving. Soon it's just us, Marquan's mother, brother and the gang leader. My father grabs my mother's had then signals for my siblings and I to follow him. We make our way over the to three of them. 

"Good afternoon, Ms.Jones, My condolences go out to you and your family-" he continues to talk but it all goes in one ear and out the other when I look up and realize the gang leader was staring dead at me and he's not even trying to hide it. My heart beat speeds up when our eyes connect, I can't look away but I have no choice as my parents turn around and we leave. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Next Day

Braelynn's POV

"Braelynn, Yasmin is here." My mom yells up the stairs. 

"Ok coming." I yell back as I push a piece of my long, black flat ironed hair behind my ear. I sling my book bag over my shoulder and walk down the stairs. 

"Mom, can I sleep over Yasmin's tonight?" I ask and she nods.

"As long as her parents are ok with it I'm ok with it." She says before kissing my forehead and giving me a hug.

"Thanks, bye." I say before closing the door and running across the street to my best friend's car. 

"Aww don't you look all cute and appropriate today." She says as I get in the passenger seat. I'm wearing a long beige sweater with black leggings, a cheetah print scarf and those wheat Indian shingle boots, I don't know what they're called.

"Don't I everyday?" I ask and she mumbles a true before pulling off. 

"Especially compared to you." I say while looking at her outfit. She's wearing blue jeans with 2 big holes in them, with a white crop top that says slayyyy with black and white Jordan 12's. 

"This shirt makes my boobs look bigger." She says which makes me laugh. You can obviously tell she's kinda wild and free, which is why I like her. 

"How was that funeral yesterday?" She asks. 

"It was fine, Marquan's gang leader was there." 

"Jay was there?" She asks shocked and I nod. So that's his name. 

When we arrived to school we went to our lockers. We could see down the hall, Marquan's brother cleaning out the locker. 

"That shit is so sad." Yasmin says as she walks over to me with her books? 

"I know right." 

"Soooo, did you ask your mom?" 

"Yeah, she said it's ok." I say and Yasmin squeals. 

"Good because we're going to a party tonight." She says while ruffling her hair. 

"What about that project you said you needed help with in physics." 

"Oh I was lying. I just needed a reason to get you to ask." 

"Yasmin." I says frustrated. "My dad would kill me if we're going to the type of party I think we're going to." 

"And what type of party do you think we're going to?" 

"Drugs, Alcohol, Rap music, sexual intercourse." 

"It doesn't matter because you're going and I'm picking out your outfit." She says confidently. 

I'm screwed. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm back, it feels good. 😄😄😄. New book so please keep reading, I have some really good ideas so I should be updating often. 

Please read, vote and comment.