52

Sick Aftermath

Braelynn's POV

Braelynn's POV

Next day

You know when you just want to disappear from the world, take a break and be alone? That's where I'm at right now but I literally can't.

Yesterday was the most devastating moment of my life, I stayed at my parents house last night and turned off my phone. I needed some time to collect myself but it just seems like there is no way I will be ok. Hearing my dad tell me that my mother is dying broke my heart, I don't even know what to do with myself, I can't stop crying and I can't stop thinking about the fact that I might lose my mom.

He said they caught it early but chemo is a long process and it's not a guarantee that she will live, this is the worst news of my life. I just wanna lay in bed and never get up. I wanted to stay the whole day but my mom insisted that I go to class and go on about my life like everything is normal, she says she has faith in God and the chemo process but I know she's scared just like the rest of us.

So here I am sitting in a lecture hall not paying any kind of attention because my mind is all over the place. My phone has been off since yesterday and I don't plan on turning it on anytime soon.

I'm sitting in the back of the class with my hood on while I attempt to catch up but I'm way too far gone to understand anything my professor is saying at this point.

As class wraps up I put my things in my backpack and walk out. It's not super cold, just windy but I'm warm in my sweatpants and sweatshirt. I don't know what to do with myself, I really don't want to go to my dorm because I don't want to be around people but I don't know where else to go. I already know as soon as someone asks me what's wrong I'm going to break down.

I go to my car and drive to get some food, I decide on something quick and easy, potbelly's. I get a wreck sandwich and a drink before I sit down at a booth on my own. I eat in silence and let my mind wander.

I can't imagine my life without my mom. She hasn't seen me graduate from college, she hasn't seen my first apartment/house, she hasn't seen me get married, she hasn't seen the children I'm gonna have in the future, it's too early for her to go. Her youngest child hasn't even graduated from high school yet.

I hate it here.

Yeah you're supposed to think positively but it's hard to do when your odds aren't good. I finish eating and sigh as I drive back to campus blinking back tears multiple times on my way back. I really don't want to go in here but where else can I go. I know if I go home seeing my mom right now will only make things worse.

I sit in the parking lot and stall by listening to a couple songs on the radio before I get out with my backpack and walk up to my dorm. I unlock the door and say a quick prayer hoping Victoria isn't in here but she is.