Chapter 14

Kayla's pov

What just happened? I'm confused but extremely happy. My stomach was filled with butterflies. Did that kiss mean anything or was he just trying to shut me up? He seemed very serious about protecting me, but I don't want him endangering himself for me. I wouldn't let him. Now he wants me to stay with him, I saw no use in arguing so I just nodded and followed him into the tent. As we entered he threw his crossbow on the floor and began to take off his boots. I stood there awkwardly as I realized there was only one sleeping bag.

"Ummm I'll go get my sleeping bag." I said and started to turn back.

"Don't need to." He said and I turned back to him confused.

He looked at me and settled into the sleeping bag and held it open,

"ya comin?"

I blushed and just nodded. I took off my boots and slid in next to him. He draped the cover over me. I turned to face away from him, but he put his arm on my waist and turned me to face him. I looked at his stunning blue eyes. I gulped cause he took my breath away.

"I meant it ya know when I meant I ain't gonna let nothin hurt ya." He whispered.

I felt his breath on my face. I craved his lips on mine again, but I didn't know if that was just a one time thing.

"I know." I whispered back.

"Get some sleep." He whispered.

I just nodded and snuggled into his chest. He flinched but relaxed and put his arm around my waist and pulled me closer to him if that was even possible. Then I felt him kiss my forehead and I knew I was blushing. I quickly fell asleep in Daryl's arms and for the first time since this happened felt safe.

Daryl's pov.

She fell asleep quickly. I knew I wasn't getting any sleep tonight. I was too angry, sure that is my normal emotion but this was beyond that. I looked down at the sleeping woman that lay in my arms. How could any man hurt such innocence? That pissed me off. Hours passed as I watched the sun begin to rise, I quietly slipped out of Kayla's arms and headed to ricks tent. Hell I didn't care if he wasn't awake. He was gonna be. I approached his tent and what do ya know? Snorin logs. I shook my head and threw a rock at the tent. Nothing. I threw it again and I heard shuffling. The tent flap unzipped and ricks head popped out scanning the area til he came to me. He yawned,

"what ya need daryl?"

"I gotta talk to ya." I said.

"Couldn't it wait?" He asked tired.

"No now." I said pissed and started off towards the woods.

I heard footsteps behind me so I knew he was following. I stopped and turned to him when I was sure we were out of anybody's hearing distance.

"Alright what ya want to tell me?" He asked.

"Bout kayla. We gotta problem." I said.

Worry filled his eyes, that woke him up,

" what is she ok!"

"Ya for now and I plan on keepin it that way." I said as the images came back into my mind making me cringe.

"What do you mean?" He asked concerned.

"Before ya found her. Her dad,her,and her cousin came across this group. Took em in, attacked em at night, raped the girls, made er dad watch. Killed her cousin after. They escaped that night, the leader, jack, said he'd find her again." I said pissed.

The look in his eyes turned of worry to hatred, "why didn't she or mark tell me?"

"Probably the only thing on his mind before he died was makin sure she was cared for and she thought you'd make her leave. She tried to last night. I stopped her." I said.

Rick sighed,"can't believe what this worlds come to." He hit a tree,"dead is walkin around and all men care about is pleasuring themselves!"

"I know it's disgusting. Rick I promised her I'd protect her, if I run into them, don't expect me to play nice, the Guys gonna die so don't try and stop me." I stated firmly.

"Stop you? I'd be helping you." He said.

I looked in his eyes and saw how serious he was.

"That girl has earned her keep. She's part of this family. I don't let people touch my family especially my daughter." He said.

"Thanks Rick." I said and he nodded walking away.

I watched as he left, thinking to myself how quickly he basically adopted her as his own. How quick she broke my shell and saw through me. That girl is something special. I decided since I'm out in the woods might as well hunt and look for Sophia, ricks at the camp so she'd be safe.

Ricks pov

I'm pissed! that guy better hope I never run into him. He's done for. I saw daryl didn't come out of the woods meaning kayla was probably alone in her tent. I'm keepin an eye on her at all times and I know I won't be the only one. How Daryl's shell broke so easily by her surprised me. I've known him for months and he didn't open up to anyone, not even his brother. She was important to him. When he told me she tried to leave last night to keep the group safe, it killed me. it wouldve killed carl too. ive seen her and maggie hanging around a lot so im pretty sure shed be upset too. lets face it she has had an impact on all of us and i know all of us would protect her. i decided I'd go to her tent and talk to her so she knew she was still wanted here.