Chapter 53

Kayla's pov

i woke up to see Herschel's face smiling at me.

"Well good morning sleeping beauty." He smiled.

i smiled back and rubbed my head, I had a killer headache. I tried sitting up but cringed as a sharp pain in my side stung.

"you're going to have to take it easy for a while hon, you popped a stitch yesterday." He said.

"Yesterday? I've been out for a day? Is everyone ok?" I asked.

"yah. We took in a new member. Her name is michonne. Very quiet. Mostly keeps to herself. Rick and Carl check in on ya every few hours. Daryl just left for the first time about 10 minutes ago. Carol is making him eat." He said.

"daryl? Why does he care? He left me." I sighed.

"sweetie that man has been going crazy since you passed out. I know you're angry but let him explain himself. Give him a chance. You two need each other and I know the minute I go down there and tell everyone your awake. He's gonna rush in here." He chuckled.

i sat there and thought about it for a minute. I did need him. I know I did. As much as I wanted to deny it, I couldn't. I finally looked at the old man and smiled. He smiled in return, grabbed his crutches and left the cell. I sat there waiting. In a matter of seconds I heard footsteps running to my cell. In came daryl. I tried to fake a smile, but I couldn't even bring one to my face. I just starred at him. He breathed a sigh of relief and walked over to my cot,

"Herschel say you were ok?"

i just nodded. I felt tears coming to my eyes and I tried to fight them away. He sighed,

"can we take a walk?"

i looked to him and nodded. We walked outside and along the perimeter of the prison. We were silent for a while until he said,

"I'm sorry."

I didn't say anything. He sighed again," please just say something to me."

i turned to him and glared. I couldn't control my anger anymore" you want me to say something daryl! I love you and you left me! Without even waiting to see if I was ok! Did you not care! Was all this a lie! I could've died and you weren't there!"

" You think I don't care! Leaving you was the hardest damn decision I've ever had to make! I thought about you, worried about you every damn day! I didn't want to leave but that's my brother kayla! He's all I ever had!" He yelled.

"you had me daryl! " I screamed back.

"you don't get it! You don't understand because you have no family anymore!" He yelled.

i looked at him shocked and he stood there frozen. Regret in his eyes over what he just said. I was fuming. I stormed away. He did not just go there!

Daryls pov

dammit daryl! How could you say that! I watched after her storming away. No it wasn't going to end like this. I ran after her and grabbed her arm to turn her to me, but she yanked it away.

"Kayla stop!" I yelled as I grabbed her again.

She turned with tears streaming down her face," how could you say that daryl!"

"I didn't mean it! I'm a dumb ass ok!" I yelled back.

she just starred at me crying. I can't take this anymore. She's got to know the truth.

"look every damn day you were on my mind, I couldn't sleep. I couldn't eat. When I thought I lost you, when I thought you were dead. There was so many times I thought about ending it too. I've never felt like this. I. Not good at this kind of stuff. Then when I saw what jack and the governor did to you." My voice began to crack, "I promised to protect you and I failed. Merle told me you would beg for me to come save you. If I would have gotten there sooner, none of this would've happened!"

At this point I was in tears. I've never cried infront of no one. I have just officially cracked.