Chapter 66

Daryls pov (later that night)

I stay remaining at her bedside. People tell me to sleep but I just can't. I need to be here whether she decides to continue fighting or decides to go. I keep a tight hold on her hand as I watch her chest rise and fall slowly. Carl's asleep in his sleeping bag in the corner. He finally ate after Merle made him. I heard someone clear their throat and I turned to see Rick standing in the doorway of the cell. I said nothing to him and looked back down at kayla. I heard him walk in and pull a chair up beside mine.

"anything change?" He asked.

i just shook my head.

i heard him sigh,"I don't know if I can do this anymore."

I looked to him like he was crazy,"the hell you talkin bout?"

"I'm obviously not taking care of her like I promised her dad I would. I'm not even really there for Carl or Judith either." He sighed.

"don't talk that shit. These kids love ya. Need ya. Kayla would be kickin yer ass if she was hearin you thinkin bout givin up." I said.

"I know she would." He said looking over to his son now.

"she loves ya Rick and when she wakes up she'll still need ya. We all do." I said.

he looked back over to me and then back down to kayla. He moved his hands and started messing with them. I looked to see what he was doing and saw he was sliding off his wedding ring.

"Here" he said handing it to me.

"why ya givin me that?" I asked.

"the last conversation I had with her was she was sad you didn't have a ring and she did. You had nothing but the title of a husband but nothing to prove it with. I don't need this anymore so you take it." He smiled.

i dropped Kayla's hand and took it from him. I slid it on my finger. It was tight but it'll manage. Felt weird as hell wearing it though, but if that's what she really wanted I'm gonna do it.

"thanks." I grunted.

"You're welcome." He smiled.

"ya know she told me a while back she always dreamed about her wedding day. I didn't think much of it then, but I do wish there was something we could do to ya know give er that experience. Always told me she wanted to dance to that Kenny Chesney song as er first dance." I sighed.

"when she wakes up, we'll do something. May not be much but we can atleast get her that dance with er husband. She still has that mixed cd right?" He asked.

i nodded.

"Good. She'll love it. I'm sure I could get the girls in on it and they would be all over it." He said.

"sounds like a plan. Now just need her to wake up." I sighed.

i felt an arm on my shoulder and I looked to see Rick. He was looking at me differently this time though. It was like the one he gave to Carl. The look of a father to a son.

"she will daryl." He said.

I nodded in return and he sighed,"ya mind if I stay in here tonight?"

i looked around. The cell was only so big and there was already 3 of us in here, but he was her dad in a sense.

i nodded and he got up, kissed her on the forehead and went to lay down by Carl. I stayed up for about another hour and then fell asleep myself. I was still holding her hand. I woke when I felt my hand get squeezed. I quickly looked to her, but she was still. Damn mind probably playin tricks on me. I grunted and rested my head in er bed again when I felt my hand get squeezed again. This time I know it wasn't my damn mind. I squeezed back and watched her intently. She started moving. My heart began racing and I whisper yelled,

"Rick! Carl!"

They moaned so I kicked Rick in the boot, "psst!"

That woke them up. Rick sat up quickly and Carl sat up slowly behind him rubbing his eyes,

"what's going on daryl?" Rick asked.

i motioned my head to kayla. They both looked to her and saw her movement. Carl got up quickly with Rick behind him and sat right next to me. We were all watching her like hawks. Comon darlin just open yer eyes. After about 5 minutes of her seeming to be fighting to take back power of her body, her eyes started to flutter open.