Chapter 81

Ricks pov

I looked down to my sleeping daughter in my arms. Boy did she remind me of Lori. Looked just like her. I'd give anything to go back and redo how I treated her before she died. I thought I was over her, that i didnt need her after what she did, but now that she is gone and never coming back, I know I needed her. I know I never got over her. And all that I have left of her is Carl and Judith. Judith grabbed my thumb with her hand causing me to smile. I walked down and saw Beth and carol holding my grand kids. Grand kids...I'm getting old. I walked over to them and looked over the women's shoulders so I could get a better view. When I joined this group I never thought daryl would become the man who he is today. He's now a husband and a father to my daughter. He's proved himself way beyond expectations when it came to her and I have no doubt he will when it comes to Connor and elaina.. I feel bad for any boy who tries to hit on elaina when she's older, not only will they have to deal with Connor, but the poor boy will have to go through daryl. Then merle too. I chuckled to myself and Carl walked over to Beth,

"Can I hold elaina?" He asked Beth.

She smiled, nodded and handed the baby to Carl. He smiled and walked over to me, standing next to me.

"You're good with them" I said to him.

"Thanks. I just wanted to be a good uncle" he whispered.

"You are" I smiled.

He smiled up at me, "when she coming back?"

I took it he was referring to kayla. SHe went on a hunt with daryl, but they needed alone time and I knew that. They were going to take their time. I smiled and said,

"Soon. Don't worry about it, daryl won't let anything happen to her"

He nodded and started whispering and cooing to elaina. I smiled at my son. He's also one that has surprised me. He has grown up way too fast and seen way too many things that I never dreamed even I would ever see. He isn't my little boy anymore, he's a man. Judith started to get fussy so I decided to set her down for a nap. I took her to the homemade crib that daryl made for her and walked outside to check on the garden. That's when I saw 3 people walking our way. Daryl, kayla and who was that? Something had to be up because I know kayla wouldn't bring him back, and daryl DEFINITELY wouldn't. I ran to the gate and let them in, but I stopped them before they entered the prison. Daryl looked really mad so I knew this couldn't have been his idea.

'Whos that" I asked sternly.

"His names Tom. He's been shot." Kayla said.

"You got any weapons on you?" I asked glaring at the man.

"No" he breathed.

"Alright kayla take him to Herschel. If ya try anything just know we have numbers, you will lose" I glared.

He nodded and kayla led him to the prison. I looked to daryl,

"You wanna explain?" I asked sternly.

"Came across the prick tryin to steal our deer. He's been shot by some group that ain't far from here. I wanted to leave him, but kayla wouldn't" he gritted.

I sighed, damnit kayla! I would definitely be havin a talk with her later.

"but about this guy. Can we trust him?" I asked.

"I don't. When we first met him, he was looking at kayla like a piece of meat. About ripped his head off." He gritted.

"What about this other group?" I asked.

"Group of men that apparently hunt down groups for their women. They kill all the men. Kayla wouldn't let him go cause the man knows where they are. They may know about the prison." He said.

My heart dropped. Not again. Not after we just got done with the governor.

I nodded,"we'll talk to him after Herschel looks at him."

"When we find this other group, I want em dead. No one goes near my kids and I'm not letting it happen again to my wife" he said.

"Agreed." I said, "won't even get close"

He nodded, grabbed the deer that was on the ground, and started walking back into the prison. I stayed where I was and looked back out towards the woods. I sighed and thought that in a world filled with the undead, you would think you're biggest fear would be getting eaten alive by walkers, not getting killed by the living. If this group finds us, Maggie, Beth, carol, all the kids, and kayla would be at risk. I wouldn't let that happen. Not again.

Kayla's pov.

I helped Tom to the prison. He seemed very nervous about being here. I mean Rick wasn't the best welcoming committee and neither was daryl. If we were going to find out anything about this other group, we had to be nice. We had to be hospitable. He had to trust us. I smiled,

"Sorry about them. My dad and my husband aren't the most kindest when it comes to strangers."

"It's alright. I understand why they acted like that. ya got a pretty girl like yourself. cant trust any men." He smirked.

I didn't say anything, trying to ignore his comment.

You're lucky to still have your family with ya" he sighed.

"Ricks not my blood dad. He died saving me, but Rick took me in as his own. I lost everyone at the beginning other than my kids." I sighed.

"You have kids?" He asked.

"Ya. Twins. Elaina and Connor, had em a few weeks ago." I smiled at the thought of my kids.

" Got the best of both worlds huh? I bet they are beautiful." He smiled.

"I got lucky. They look just like daryl" I smiled.

His smile turned to a frown,"I was sayin they are beautiful cause look at their momma."

I stopped for a second and then said,"ummm thanks"

"Maybe I could meet em? The twins?" He asked.

"Sure, but lets get Herschel to fix up that arm first." I smiled.

He nodded and we continued to Herschel's cell. We entered and Herschel smiled at me but then saw Tom and said,

"Hey kayla. Who's your friend?"

"Hi...umm this is Tom. We found him on our hunt and he's been shot. Was wondering if you could help him?" I asked nervously.

"Of course come on in here son" Herschel smiled.

I smiled back at Herschel. He was always so willing to help anyone in need. He checked over toms arm,

"It looks like the bullet just grazed you. Nothing major, I can stitch it right up"

"Thank you" Tom said.

"I'm goin to go check on the twins" I smiled and just when I was about to leave Tom said,

"Hey!"

I stopped and turned to him and he said, "you'll be back right?"

"Umm ya. I have to feed my kids" I smiled.

"Alright remember, I wanna meet em" he smiled.

I nodded and left after that. I honestly felt nervous introducing him to elaina and Connor, but I'd do anything to find out about that group.