Chapter 62

Maggie's pov

"it's been a while" Carl grumbled looking out to the fences.

i gave his shoulder a reassuring squeeze,"they'll be fine Carl"

he looked up to me and I gave the best smile I could at this time. Honestly I've been worried too, it's been hours. I know they could take care of it, but that's my dad and my best friend out there. I should've gone. Carl must have seen th look in my eyes,

"you don't got to lie to you know? I'm not a kid anymore."

"I know you're not Carl." I said.

"dad doesn't"

"he's just trying to keep you safe" I smiled.

"ya whatever." He rolled his eyes.

i was about to say something when the sound of engines filled our ears. I looked down to carl who's face went from serious and uncaring to that of a little child in a candy store. We both ran don to the gate to let them in. Wait kayla wasnt on daryls bike? As they drove by daryl wouldnt even look at us. his expression looked like he was beyond mad. When Rick and dad drove by Rick gave a slight smile but drove equally as fast past us to the prison. Something happened and it wasn't good. Carl shut the gate and we quickly ran back up into the prison. Rick gathered everyone. I looked around for kayla again, nothing. My heart started pounding and I started to sweat. No she couldn't be dead. Glenn noticed and came over, sliding his arm around my waist as we waited for what Rick had to say.

"we are going to war. The governor wants the prison, wants all of us dead." He stated.

everyone nodded, agreeing. He explained a little bit more then Carl asked the question on everyone's mind,

"where's kayla?"

rick sighed and ran his hands through his hair. He was about to speak when daryl spoke from a dark corner,"governor took er."

i gasped and Glenn grabbed me tighter.

Daryls pov

I watched everyone's reaction to the news. Maggie looked like she was about to pass out. Carl looked beyond pissed. Hell that's me and him both. Everyone else's was pure worry, even my brothers.

"We need people to volunteer to help us get her back." Rick stated.

instantly Maggie and Glenn stepped forward, "we're in"

then that michonne chick,"me too"

"I'm in" said my brother.

everyone looked at him shocked, "what? Gotta protect my little sister."

some people had confused faces. Not everyone knew I popped the big question.

"Me too" Carl said.

"no" Rick automatically said.

"why dad! I'm going!" He yelled back.

"Carl no you are staying here with your sister. It's not safe out there." Rick sternly said.

"it's not safe with you with you either! You just let him take her!" He cried back.

damn, that had to hit a nerve. Rick yelled, "Carl no!"

Carl looked at his dad with disbelief and just ran away. Rick sighed and looked back to all of us,"alright we'll leave first thing in the morning."

wait what!

"The morning! You saw what he did to er last time!" I yelled walking right straight to Rick.

"daryl we all need rest, you need rest." He sighed.

i got right in his face," I'll get rest when my wife is back here safe! Now I'm going after her tonight! Y'all get yer rest if ya want, I'll meet ya at Woodbury tomorrow, but I'm goin tonight!"

I started to walk away when I heard him say,"you can't go alone daryl."

I turned and glared at him. I was about to say something till Merle stood up,

"he ain't goin alone. I'll be with him."

I gave him a nod and he nodded back. Rick just sighed,

"fine. We'll meet ya tomorrow. If you find him daryl before we get to you. Kill him."

I nodded and headed out with my brother right behind me.

ricks pov

after daryl and Merle left, I looked back to the group,

"get some rest and be prepared for tomorrow."

they all nodded and went to their cells. I for one ran straight to Carl's room. What he kept saying was replaying in my head and it struck a deep nerve. I neared his cell and started hearing crashing. I started running till I reached it. I saw my son throwing everything he owned at the wall. He had cracked.

"Carl stop" I said entering the cell.

He turned to me, tears streaming down his face,"why dad! Why did you let them take her!"

i walked slowly towards him,"it's not like I just let him Carl! He had guns pointed at us and her! What else was I supposed to do!"

"you were supposed to keep her safe!" He cried.

"I know Carl! Do you think I don't! It's killing me knowing once again that man has her! I know I'm a terrible father ok!" I whisper yelled.

"I'm going with you!" He cried.

i grabbed onto his shoulders," no you're not. When we find her I don't know what condition she going to be in and I don't want you seeing that. Just please stay here."

i cringed at the image I was getting in my head of her as I said this. I remember what he did to her last time, if he did that or anything worse i was going to go crazy. Carl just looked at me and glared. I gave sympathetic eyes back.

"You better bring her back dad. Alive." He said and shoulder bumped me as he walked away.

I just sighed and whispered to myself,"plan to."