Chapter 49

Daryls pov. A few days later

"just us again eh little brother?" Merle taunted.

i ignored him and kept walking.

"if I didn't know any better I'd think ya were trying to lead me back to that prison." He grunted.

"atleast we'd have food, a pot to piss in." I retaliated.

I tried everything to keep the prison away from my thoughts. Especially kayla. I left her there when she needed me most. The worst part was not knowing if she was dead or alive. No she had to be alive.

"Ya know i can't go back there after what happened." He said.

i turned to him angry,"we'll maybe if ya weren't such an ass hole!"

"hey I'm not at all to blame here baby brother! Where were you when the governor and jack had their way with your girl huh! When she was crying and begging for daryl to come save her! Huh where were you! " He yelled back.

He did not just go there! I swung at him and hit him right in the jaw. He was pissed and we started fist fighting. He gained the upper hand and ripped my shirt open, exposing my back. I quickly tried to hide it but he saw,

"I didn't know"

"ya you did, he did the same to you!" I yelled back getting up.

I made the wrong choice and I can't do this anymore.

"where ya goin!" He yelled.

"back where I belong!" I yelled back.

"you kow I can't go with you!" He said with regret in his voice.

i quickly wiped a stray tear from my cheek, "ya know I may be the one walking away, but your the one leaving. Again!"

I continued walking. Hell at this point I didn't care if he followed or not. That was his damn decision. A few minutes later I heard footsteps following behind me.

"Ya know she could be dead." He said.

"no. She's a fighter." I said and we continued on.

Kayla's pov

was it all just a dream? Did I really see daryl? Was I safe? I wanted to know, but instead Im in pitch darkness. I can't see where I am. I'm scared! I suddenly hear whimpering. I search around for anything, but only see dark. Wait. I recognize that whimpering. Carl?

"please wake up. I need you." I hear him whimper.

wait? Wake up? I'm asleep? It all starts coming back to me now. I can feel someone holding my hand. Carl?

"can you hear me?" Carl whispered.

yes I can! Dammit! Why can't I wake up! Why can't I speak! It's like I'm trapped in a prison known as my body. I had to let him know I'm here! I'm not gone. I tried to open my eyes, but was failing. I then had an idea. I squeezed his hand. I heard him gasp. Yes! Success! I tried opening my eyes again and it worked. I slowly looked around the room. I was back at the prison. I was in a cell, Rick was asleep on a chair in the corner and Carl was holding my hand at my bedside. Wait where's daryl? Carl was still looking down at my hand when I squeezed it again. His head turned quickly to me.

"kayla?" His eyes were widened and tears began to flow.

i smiled, while fighting off my own tears,"hey bud" eww my voice was all scratchy.

he smiled and hugged me tightly,"I was so scared we lost you."

i pulled out of the hug and cupped his face,"hey hey I promised I'd never leave you."

"forever?" He wiped a tear.

i nodded,"and ever."

He smiled and looked to his dad,"dad!"

rick jumped awake and rubbed his eyes,"what Carl...." He began to say but when he saw I was awake he stopped.

I smiled at him and he ran to my bedside. And Carl gave my hand to him.

"Carl go get Herschel." He said.

carl seemed hesitant at first so I said, "hey. I'll still be here when you get back."

He smiled and ran out of the room. Rick kissed my forehead and said,

"I'm so happy you're ok. I couldn't take it if I lost you too." He said.

"me too? Who else have we lost?" I asked confused.

he sighed and wiped a tear,"Lori. She died during child birth."

tears began to spill,"and the baby?"

"she's fine her name is Judith. Judith may grimes." He smiled.

"may?" I choked.

"ya for you. It was Carl's idea. I thought it was perfect." He smiled.

i just smiled and he sighed," I gave up kayla."

i looked at him confused and he sighed not being able to look at me,"I gave up on finding you alive. Then when daryl found your locket, I still didn't believe it. I should have and then whoever did this to you wouldn't have gotten away with it."

"jack and the governor " I said.

"what the guy from your old group!" He gritted.

"it's ok Rick. It's ok for everything. You didn't know. And I killed jack." I sighed.

"good. I'm so happy you're ok." He smiled.

i looked around as Hershel, Maggie,Carl, and Glenn was now in my cell. But where is daryl? Everyone greeted me with hugs and a few kisses.it seemed like forever till I finally got to ask,

"where's daryl?"