Chapter 80

A few weeks later. Kayla's pov

Life was actually going pretty normally. I mean as normal as it can be in a zombie apocalypse. Connor and elaina are both great and healthy which I can thank god for. My family is my everything now. When I lost my parents and my brother, I thought my life was over. It really was a blessing from god that daryl and Rick found me when they did. I remember not wanting to go with them at first. Boy would I have made the wrong decision if my dad hadn't made me go with them. I'd probably have been dead a few minutes after dad because I wouldn't want to fight anymore. In all this hell, my kids, my husband, and my prison family were a blessing.

"What ya smiling at?" I jumped when I heard a voice behind me.

i turned and saw daryl walking over to me, crossbow on his back. I smiled and looked back out onto the field. I had wondered outside to get some air and just think things through. Daryl was beside me now.

"I don't know. I guess just how in a sense I'm blessed." I smiled.

"blessed? In a world full of walkers tryin to kill ya? Ain't what I call blessed." He said looking at me.

i turned to look at him,"no. That's not, but I am blessed to have this family. Have two beautiful babies. A man who has taken me in as his own. A boy who looks at me like a sister.."

"And a sexy as hell husband" daryl interrupted smirking.

I rolled my eyes,"true, but I was going to say. A grumpy, scruffy, some times an ass hole,redneck husband who is absolutely perfect in every way possible and I know would give his life for me or our kids. A protective and beautiful man who deserves so much better."

I felt his arms go around my waist,"you deserve so much better. Than me. Than this life and I wish there was something I could do to change that."

he turned me to face him,"I may not be the best husband or father sometimes, but my promise to you still stands. I will die protectin you and our kids. AInt never felt love before, ain't never felt needed till you."

i places a hand on his cheek and rubbed his scruff with my thumb," I love you daryl"

"I love ya too" he smiled and kissed me sweetly.

once he pulled away he smiled,"about to go huntin. Ya wanna come?"

"where's the kids?" I asked.

"carol and Beth's got em" he said.

"Well let me go tell them I'm going out." I started to walk past him, but he quickly grabbed my arm.

i looked at him confused and he smirked,"already told em"

i smirked back,"and what if I didn't want to go?"

"would've made ya. Hadn't had alone time since the kids were born" he whispered.

i nodded. It was true. Since the twins were born, we've been taking care of the, 24/7 and when they were ok, others came in and wanted to hold or see the babies. We started walking out of the gate and into the woods. We hadn't walked far as we saw some squirrel. Daryl and I smiled at each other and I took my knife out as he aimed his crossbow. We had caught about 4 squirrels until I saw something rare. There standing in the middle of an opening in the woods was a buck. I smiled to myself and looked over my shoulder to see daryl still goin after squirrels. I chuckled quietly to myself. He hasn't even noticed the deer. And he calls himself a hunter? I smiled and started making my way up to the deer very quietly. I was using the skills daryl had taught me to sneak up on the animal. I kept getting closer and closer to it and i realized I could do this. I raised my knife, took a deep breath and sent my knife flying in the air. It landed right between the bucks eyes and it fell over, dead. I smiled at my catch and walked over to get it. It was too heavy to pick up. He was going to be able to feed the whole group for a while! Daryl would be so proud of me! I started dragging the buck back to daryl. I heard footsteps behind me and heard,