Chapter 16

Daryl's pov

3 squirrels, that's it. I barely got to take out my anger. Great. Yea Im extremely pissed men would do that to 2 innocent girls and hell even make her father watch! You gotta be sick! I feel like I'm more pissed off though cause it was her. Why do I care? This chick has broken down every wall I've been forced to build up since I was a kid in the matter of seconds! No one has ever done that Before. Hell no woman even tried with me. Merle said women are only good for one thing, but this chick is makin me feel different. I don't want just that one thing but I want to protect her,like its my job. Which I know is dangerous, but im gonna keep that girl safe even if i die tryin.shit! I shouldn't be feeling this! Fuck I'm a dixon! I shouldn't be caring! Dammit! I started back to the camp seein everyone sitting around eating. Some had smiles on their faces and some were laughing. Hell we are in a zombie apocalypse people! Shouldn't be laughing. I started to head back to my camp when I saw chinaman get up infront of people. He looked nervous.thefuck? I decided to walk up behind kayla. She probably didn't even know I was there.

"Ummmm guys there's walkers in the barn." He said.

What! The hell is this Herschel prick thinkin! My thoughts were interrupted when I heard someone's breathing quicken, I looked and saw it was kayla. Shit. Without thinking I put my hand on her shoulder. She jumped, but when she saw it was me she smiled and her breathing started to slow back down. She knew I'd protect her. Ain't no way she gonna get hurt, not while Im here.

Kayla's pov

Knowing daryl was there made me feel a little better. I felt more protected. Shane was going nuts. He wanted the to kill them all in the barns. I agreed, but Herschel refused, and Maggie being my best friend, I didn't want to upset her. Herschel was pissed. He left about an hour ago and Rick went after him. Everyone went away from the fire except me. People handle anger and stress differently and I just wanted to be alone. I starred blankly into the fire just thinking. Thinking of everything this world has come to. Thinking about just giving up on on ever seeing my brother again. Thinking about what will happen if jack and his friends ever find me. My thoughts were interrupted when Maggie sat next to me. I just smiled at her and she looked At me with red eyes.

"My family is in there kayla. I know they aren't comin back but daddy is convinced their sick." She sighed.

"I know maggie. And as hard as it is they aren't coming back. They are away from this hell, safe and in heaven. Their bodies are just here and taken over by something more evil then satan himself." I said with tears in my eyes.

She noticed,"who have you lost?"

I sighed and tried to blink away my tears," my mom, my cousin. My dad died while saving me. I don't know where my brother is."

I took off my locket and opened it to show the pictures of my family. She took it and looked at it.

"He was my best friend. He was just 16 but he was forced to grow up. At the beginning whenever he would go out I would sit out on our porch and shine a flashlight in the direction he went so he would know it was safe to return. And he did the same for me. We were over run at the house. They were everywhere and he distracted em so we all could run. He told me not to look for him that he'd find me. He promised." I said below a whisper and wiped a lone tear away from my cheek," I should've never let him go."

Maggie put an arm around my back and closed my locket,

"he's probably still alive and out there lookin for ya. By the sound of it your brother was a strong man" she gave me a reassuring smile.

"Ya he was, but Im the big sister, I should be the one protecting him not him protecting me. I should've ran. I should be the be lost, maybe dead. Not him." I said.

"Don't blame yourself for one minute. Your brother loved you so he did what was right and I know wherever he is he'd be so proud of you." She said handing me back the necklace.

"Ya know we went to the cdc before this. the doctor was some crazy lunatic, wanted to end it all. locked us in the room with him waiting for the building to blow. he opened em with 5 more minutes on the timer. i tryed to stay behind, i wanted it all to end." i said putting the locket around my neck.

She looked shocked,

"do you still think that way? Want to end it all?"

I sighed,"sometimes."

"What made ya leave?" She asked.

" daryl. He wouldn't let me stay. Sat right next to me said if I went he'd go too." I said.

She smiled wide,"he cares about ya a lot."

I shook my head,"no he doesn't"

"I see the way he looks at you. Trust me. That man would take his own life to die with you. Think about that.And you like him too. am i right."

i blushed,"more than you know."

shit i finally just admitted it. i like daryl dixon. She smiled. I smiled,

"thanks Maggie."

"Anytime. I'm gonna try to convince daddy to let y'all stay here. I can't lose 2 of the most important people I've come to love." She smiled.

Someone cleared their throat and Maggie looked behind me and smiled. I turned to see daryl standing there awkwardly. Shit how much did he hear? How long was he standing there!

"Well I got things to do around the house. See ya later kayla." She smiled and walked away.

I just looked down at the ground praying daryl would just walk away. After Maggie was out of sight I felt him sit next to me. Shit.