Chapter 24

Kayla pov

after Justin's funeral I walked back to my tent. I just wanted to be alone. I entered my tent and sat down on my sleeping bag. I took my locket off and opened it. Seeing my brother happy and alive made me smile. Suddenly my tent zipper opened and In walked Maggie. I quickly closed my locket and held it in my hands as she sat next to me.

"kayla I'm so sorry. I swear I didn't know." She said with her eyes full of sympathy.

"it's ok Maggie. Atleast now I know he's safe." I sighed.

"so your not angry with me?" She asked.

"never." I said. "Where's Rick?"

" Daddy ran off. Him and Glenn went out looking for him." She blushed when she mentioned Glenn.

"you really like Glenn don't you?" I smiled.

"ya I do. And what about you and daryl? Your still wearing his shirt." She smiled nudging me.

i just blushed until we were interrupted by a small voice," kayla?"

I looked to see Carl standing at the entrance to my tent. Maggie smiled at him and then looked back to me,

"I'll let you two talk." As she left the tent.

carl sat next to me,

"I'm really sorry about your brother."

i sighed,"thanks Carl"

we were silent for a minute until he noticed my locket,

"what's that?"

i smiled and opened it, showing the pictures of my once happy family.

"it my family."

"Is this your brother?" He asked.

i smiled and nodded.

"that doesn't look like who I saw today." He said.

"cause it's not. That wasn't justin. He passed a long time ago. Some horrible thing just took over him." I said.

"that's what I'm scared of. I don't want to become like that." He said with tears in his eyes.

i looked at the fearful boy next to me. I closed my locket again and pulled him into a hug,

"You will never have to worry bout that. I won't let that happen."

"Promise?" He asked.

" Carl whatever your middle name is grimes. Don't question me." I laughed.

It seemed to make him laugh too and the fear in his eyes were gone. Success!

"what?" I asked joking.

"you don't know my middle name" he laughed.

"we'll you don't know mine" I joked back. "Tell me yours if I tell you mine?"

he nodded," James."

"may" I smiled. "Kayla may rolfes."

"Wrong." He said.

I looked at the boy," how is that wrong? I'm pretty sure I know my name."

"nope! You're missing one." He smiled.

i arched an eyebrow confused.

"you're full name isn't kayla may rolfes. It's kayla may rolfes grimes." He smiled.

tears started forming in my eyes as I kissed the boys forehead.

"Carl I love you so much."

"I love you too." He smiled.