Chapter 22

Daryl's pov

No! Dammit! This can't be fucking happening! All that looking for a dead girl in the barn! I failed. I didn't find her alive! I watched as Rick shot the girl. I fought back tears. I don't cry. Dale and T took over with carol. I wanted to get away, I had to. I began to walk away when I heard footsteps behind me. I turned my head slightly to see kayla running up behind me. Damn girl. The footsteps came to a stop when we heard more growlin. God damn do we ever get a break? Like a fucking clown car I swear! They just keep comin! Out walked a walker or a boy. Had to be round 16 or 17. Had blonde hair and what looks like a bite to the arm ended his life. I scoffed at the ugly thing. Just another walker. Rick could take care of it. I was about to turn to start walking when I noticed Kayla's body language change. Her whole body was shaking and she was breathing really hard. she was trying to fight back tears lookin at the walker. She knew him. Wait a minute. No. It couldn't be. Could it?

"Justin!" She screamed.

Shit it is. Her brother. She started running towards him. I bolted as fast as I could and grabbed her and brought her to the ground just like I did carol. She was more of a struggle though. She was stronger than carol.

"No daryl! Please! Justin! No!" She screamed.

I looked up at Rick who had tears in his eyes. He knew who he was to. He went up to shoot the boy just like he did Sophia but he couldn't. His arm was shaking. I whistled and he looked back at me with tears in his eyes. I nodded my head for him to come over. He did and I said,

"I got it. Take er."

he nodded and looked down to the sobbing girl in my arms. I gave her to him and then walked up to the boy. I starred at him. I could still see his facial features. How they resembled kayla. He was everything to her and this is how he ends up.

No I couldn't struggle, I have to do it. I raised my gun,

"thanks for keepin her safe. Sorry."

i shot it and he fell to the ground. I turned back to see kayla holding on to Rick and now Carl for dear life. I walked back up to him and bent down to their level. Me and Rick made eye contact,

"give er to me."

He nodded and I scooped her up bridal style and took her back to my tent. I set her down on my sleeping bag and looked at her. She was broken. This wasn't the girl I've come to know anymore. It hurt me to see er like this. We tried and hoped so hard for him to be alive.

"kayla." I started to say.

"please just leave me alone." She wept.

I nodded and walked out of the tent. She needed to be alone and so did I. I walked back up to the bodies. They were gonna bury them. I saw Shane go to pick up Justin. Hell no. Kayla wouldn't want him anywhere near. I walked up and pushed him forcefully away from im. Shane looked at me angrily and I gave one worse back and he walked away. I scooped up the boy in my arms and made my way to the empty graves. I was so grateful to this boy and I'd never get to thank him for it. Damn I hate this world!