Chapter 1

New York City, one of the largest cities in the world, and the home to millions of people who walk all kinds of life. There are New Yorkers who only live through a daily routine, but there are those in the city who live only to make their dreams come true. While most of the dreamers aim for fame and fortune, there's one girl who looks up to the stars for her dreams.

Rose Catone has lived all 17 years of her life believing in one thing, and that's that other worlds exist. Just as her astronomer parents did before her. When they were alive, they taught her many aspects of their research and theories. Such as that every story holds a window to another world, that each world is connected. and that the only thing that has managed to travel to all the worlds is a comet with the ability to travel the universes.

Every night since her parents' deaths, Rose would look up to the sky hoping that one night she would be able to see the comet that her family loved so much. Whenever she had the chance, she would also look into every story, including novels, movies, manga, anime, and anything else she could get her hands on to discover another world. She's done this so that that someday when she finds a way to use that comet's power she can leave her world for a better place.

Today however, Rose is making use of the Sunday spring weather by playing her acoustic guitar on the streets before going to work to get some extra cash. She just finished playing a rock song, which signaled for her small audience to cheer for the pale, skinny, girl wearing a light purple t-shirt, long blue jeans, and black sneakers.

A smile formed on Rose's freckled face as she bowed, and allowed her straight brown hair to fall over her shoulders. She quickly straightens up and gestures to the open guitar case that holds various kinds of tips. "Thanks everyone, as always tips are greatly appreciated. As much as I'd love to play all day, I have to go to work soon. However, I can give you one more song. Any requests from the audience? It can be anything from rock to Broadway."

The tourists look around in thought when a nine year old girl yells to her. "PLAY WAVING THROUGH A WINDOW!"

Rose widens her purple eyes at the request. "You mean the song from Dear Evan Hansen?"

"Yea, you said anything right? Then play!"

The girl's mother looks at her rude child disapprovingly. "Mia, it's not nice to demand a song like that."

Mia freezes at her mom's scolding, then looks at Rose with guilt in her eyes. "I'm sorry..."

Rose couldn't help but softly smile at the mother, daughter, pair before she warms up her guitar. "You said 'Waving through a Window' right? Lucky for us, that's one of my favorites."

Mia beams in excitement while her mom softly smiles at the teenager, who is playing the beginning of Waving Through a Window from the musical Dear Evan Hansen.

I've learned to slam on the brake~
Before I even turn the key~
Before I make the mistake~
Before I lead with the worst of me~
Give them no reason to stare~
No slipping up if you slip away~
So I've got nothing to share~
No, I got nothing to say~

She begins ignoring everything around her as she loses her smile when she remembers every time she felt alone since her parents have died. She looks up to the clear blue sky above the crowd while playing to give herself some comfort.

Step out, step out of the sun~
If you keep getting burned~
Step out, step out of the sun~
Because you've learned, because you've learned~

On the outside always looking in~
Will I ever be more than I've always been? ~
Cause I'm tap, tap, tapping on the glass~
I'm waving through a window~