Chapter 10

Rose felt as if she was turned to stone as soon as she heard the demand to join Luffy's crew. She had to replay it at least three times in her hear to fully understand the crap that just came out of his mouth, because of how unexpected it was.

She shakes her head to snap herself out of it before she weakly chuckles and takes her hand back. "Sorry Luffy, but that's the worst joke I ever heard. I can't join you."

Luffy looks up at her in shock and reveals the redness in his cheeks from the alcohol. "This isn't a joke, and I refuse your refusal~!"

She widens her eyes at the slightly slurred response and leans closer to Luffy's face to see that he's still in a daze from the alcohol.

*Shit, he's still drunk...* She groans in frustration before she scowls at the stubborn boy. "In that case, I refuse your refusal to my refusal."

He's completely taken aback by the refusal, because he thought that she would jump at the chance. "You can't do that!"

"I just did." She turned around to walk away when a rubber arm suddenly stretched around her waist and pulled her onto the hammock. They almost fell to the floor, but Rose managed to stop them from falling by holding onto the hammock.

The rubber drunk could care less that they're swinging and keeps his arms around her, so she won't escape. "Don't leave! Join my-!"

She covers his mouth, with an embarrassing blush decorating her face, just when she manages to stop the hammock. The brunette slowly looks around to see that the others guys are still asleep, then sighs in relief that they didn't wake anyone. 

However, she doesn't know how long they can sleep through the noise, so she takes her hand off his mouth and whispers to him. "Keep it down will ya?"

"I'll do it if you-!"

"Please just stop, I can't join you."

"Why not~?"

She starts massaging her temples to try to soothe her growing headache, before she sits up, and unwraps herself from his hold with a soft, sorrowful, look. "I just can't..."

Even without looking back, she can tell that he's upset with the answer, so she gets off the hammock and starts leaving.

She can hear Luffy trying to get up, so she stops a few steps away, and turns around. 

The captain is happy that she stopped, but his smile fades when he can see the sadness in her eyes as she speaks to him. "Look, I appreciate everything you guys did for me, and you have no idea how flattered I am that you offered, but I can't stay. I need to find my place in this world and Alabasta's the perfect spot to get my start as a real astronomer..."

She starts giving him a reassuring smile while she waves her hand dismissively. "Besides, you guys are pretty bad ass on your own. You guys will quickly move on. There's tons of better people out there than a wind girl any-!"

"What the hell are you talking about?!"

She hitches her breath when Luffy stumbles out of bed with a furious look on his face. "What do you mean I'll move on?! Don't think that I just forget my friends like they're nothing!"

She quickly looks around to see the guys stirring, but their eyes are still shut, so she raises her hands defensively. "I'm sorry; I didn't mean it like that. What I mean is you'll find people that'll fit with your crew better."

He doesn't take the excuse as he keeps pressing for her to join. "That doesn't make sense at all! We worked together great back at the island, your power's cool, and you're really fun too! If you don't fit with the crew then none of us do either!"