Chapter 18

For the first time in a while, the crew's journey has been going on without a hitch as everyone continues travelling through the blistering heat. From time to time throughout the day, Rose manages to create a small gust of wind from her body to help keep the crew cool.

After the fifth gust of wind she creates, she stops herself and looks down at Chopper who's riding on the sled Zoro's dragging. "How are you holding up doc?"

He gives her a hoof's up while he stays on the sled. "I'll be ok, thanks for the wind. It's been helping."

"Anytime." She softly grins at him as she keeps walking.

Luffy though isn't satisfied, because the wind isn't cooled, so he turns to her with pleading eyes. "Can you make your wind colder like bef-?"

He was cut off by a kick to the head by Sanji. "Don't complain when she's helping us idiot!"

Luffy rubs his head while Rose chuckles. "Sorry Luffy, but it's easier to make my wind like this."

"Aww, ok..." Luffy accepts the excuse as they keep going.

Rose grins at how things are going as she looks up at the afternoon sky. She's glad things are going smoothly, but she doesn't want to risk making cold wind again. If they find out what emotion makes it, they'll only worry about her. At the very least, what she's doing now is a good start.

She keeps a small grin on her face at the fact that she's being useful as they keep walking.

"How much longer until we reach Yuba?" Usopp asks as he uses a walking stick to keep himself from collapsing.

Vivi looks through the map, as she's riding on Eyelashes' back, to figure out the length of their journey. "If we keep going at this rate, we should be there by nightfall."

Luffy groans at this as he's straggling behind. "Seriously? That'll take forever..."

Rose pauses at the complaint, when she remembers the plan she made to help everyone go through the desert faster, and mentally scolds herself for forgetting. Now that Ace's gone, now's the best time for it!

She stops walking and digs through her bag to get what she needs.

Nami looks back, to see that Rose's stopped walking, and looks at her in confusion. "What are you doing Rose?"

"Getting ready for an experiment I had planned to make everyone's trip easier."

The others stop walking, and look at the wind girl in confusion, as she's pulling out the folded, large, slightly thick sheet that she's been using as a blanket.

Usopp raises an eyebrow at the sheet as he watches her unfold it. "How's a blanket going to help us?"

"Like this." She tosses the sheet up into the air and uses her wind to catch it, so that it's lying flat on the gust of wind just a few feet off the ground. 

Once she's satisfied with the amount of wind she's using, she hops onto the sheet, and sits cross legged with a large smile. "Anyone up for a flying carpet ride?"

"AWESOME!" Luffy, Usopp, and Chopper look at the ride with stars in their eyes as they hop on.

"What a wonderful idea Rose-chwan!" Sanji says as he twirls towards the sheet, and takes a seat with his legs dangling over the edge.

Zoro though, just looks at the excited group blankly. "That's your big experiment? Why are you trying this now anyway?"

Rose casually shrugs, as she shifts to make sure that there's enough room, while using enough wind to hold them up. "Didn't account for Ace joining us when I thought of this. There's enough room for one more if you want in."