Chapter Twenty-Three

Charlie's arrival at the order brought me a lot of joy. For once someone understood that I wasn't useless, and we spoke happily about our future plans. He talked about those at the reserve who had joined the order, and he spoke avidly about the room he had set up for our child. Everything seemed perfect.

Three days, however, after Charlie's arrival a scream came from down stairs. "They're doing what!"

Molly's cry, of course, upset Walburga, something Charlie only witnessed a couple of time during his stay at the house. The cause of Molly's cry, of course, would be the defends against the dark arts club that Harry and several of his friends had formed, and of course, Edith was proud to hear her daughters were members as well.

Everyone seemed to have mixed emotions about this club, but I think both Poppy and I agreed had we still been in school, we would have joined as well. The only thing the order seemed to be able to agree on was the fact that they all hated Umbridge.

"Percy worships the ground she and Fudge walk on, it's a little sad if you ask me." Poppy said softly as she sat with both me and Charlie in the kitchen, Charlie laughed.

It seemed he agreed with me when it came to Poppy. "I don't think I have ever heard someone talk so much about Percy." He said gently, "You sure there is nothing going on there?"

Poppy always had the same response to this question. She couldn't possibly have feelings for Percy as it was her mission to simply get to know him and others in the department, if she were to have feelings then that would pose the risk of interfering with her job.... I, on the other hand, saw it in a different light.

If Poppy were to start something with Percy now, well everything would be founded on lies... And that sort of foundation just crumbles. It's not the type to build anything on.

"Just drop it." I said softly to Charlie, "Poppy knows what she's doing."

Charlie's visit was short, and I knew likely the next time I would see him was when the baby came. The goodbye was hard, and I wept like a baby... Knowing only part of it was to blame on the hormones of my pregnancy. He hugged me as close as he could before he left. I knew very well now that if we ever had another child I wouldn't leave like this again.

I only had another two months though now, until the holidays, and the baby came.

***

December came with nightmares. The dark mark hanging in the sky, and my mother starting down at me with a soft bundle in her arms. A wicked grin always spread across her face as she lifted up the blanket to reveal the black hair that it had.