Chapter Forty-one

The first ever wedding I remember attending was that of my aunt Narcissa. Pureblood weddings I knew from a young age were meant to be a big deal, for the daily prophet to cover and for everyone to talk about. This was even truer when it came to the joining of the Black and Malfoy family, two of the most wealthy pureblood families there were still around in this day and age, and as the niece of the bride, I was to be on my very best behaviour. This was something I was notoriously bad at, though I did try my hardest... at least at the start of the day. 

"Indigo Lestrange!" My mother hissed as she straightened my dress, "If anyone were to see you like this...!"

I knew in truth that my mother couldn't care less about the dress that I was wearing. She herself had thrown a fit about having to be in her sister's bridal party, a role that was supposed to have been given to the aunt neither sisters spoke about, but alas that was no longer an option and my mother wore a Slytherin green dress that seemed very unlike her usual style. It was one of the few times in my life I hadn't seen her in her usual dark robes that she strutted around in no matter the occasion. 

Like my mother, my dress was a Slytherin green as I was also part of the wedding party, only as a flower girl despite the fact that I thought I was far too old to hold such a title. I would have rathered stay at home than attend the wedding, and I made that quite clear by attempting to mess my dress up the best I could and flashing my hair every colour under the sun in attempts of rebellion. Bellatrix had quite enough of this behaviour as she pulled frantically at her hair, which unlike its normal wildness had been tamed for the special day. On a normal day, I would never have challenged my mother in such an obvious way, but I knew with all the press and present eyes, I was safe from my usual forms of punishment. 

"It is an honour!" She hissed as she kneeled down to my eye level, "To be part of a wedding such as this, an honour! And yet you can't act appropriately for even a few hours! Occasions like this Indigo... Occasions like this are when other families like our own will be watching! They will be evaluating where or not you will make a proper wife for their own sons and wards!"

I scrunched up my face in disgust at the comment, "I don't want to get married!" I screamed, "Weddings are boring and boys are gross and I just want to stay a kid forever and ever and never grow up!"

A light-hearted chuckle interrupted the argument my mother and I had been having, "And as much as I wish it could be that way my Princess, growing up is a part of life... and one day you will be the most beautiful bride there will ever be. You will be a wife, and mother, and serve our dark lord in whatever way you can, just as we have been teaching you."

My heart warmed as I saw my father standing in the doorway of the room my mother had pulled me into for a scolding. He was my saviour whenever my mother was about to go too far. When she would shift from words to curses and jinxes in hopes that they would keep my stubborn arse in line. I squirmed out of my mother's strong grip and threw my arms around my father, "Were you as happy as aunt Cissy when you and mother got married?"

Quickly my parents shared a tense glance before my father brushed a whiskery kiss on my forehead, "I was far happier when you were brought into the world." My father said gently, "A gift, especially when we learnt I would not be able to have any more heirs after my accident..."

The accident my father spoke of I knew really was not an accident at all, but a punishment from his dark lord after a failed task. I didn't really know what all it meant at such a young age, and neither of my parents really cared for me to know any more details then the vague. Anything else I gained from listening to doors and asking questions I shouldn't have of those who thought I would already know. My young aunt Cissy was among those, but she eventually caught on to keep her lips shut around me and to throw a cold shoulder my way, just how everyone else usually did when I didn't follow the golden rule of the pureblood world.