Chapter one: How everything started

Isa's pov

and here you are living.

despite it all.

Rupi Kaur

"Isa, new patients in arrival, a truck has met against a bus" informed me Rajiv, my best friend and co-worker. "Good morning to you too Rajiv, I'm fine what about you?" I snickered sarcastically.

A voice coming from the crowd of doctors and nurses in front of us interrupted asking "What do we have?", "Child, male, six years vital values: body temperature 35°C, blood pressure 92 mmHg, irregular pulse, cardiac frequency 156 bpm" answered the paramedic helping us to move him.

A man with dark blond hair made his way among the crowd with the little boy in the stretcher "I got this" I said loudly, "Not this time Dr. Prasad the case is yours" interrupted us Dr. Patterson, Chief of the department of surgery "Doc. Thompson, it would be amazing if you could show around the hospital to Dr. Hopkins, our new beginner" obligated me. Usually, a task such as that would have been up to the residents but since we found ourselves in a state of emergency I didn't objected.

"Nice to meet you, Aaron Hopkins" greeted extending his hand formally. I at once understood that he was British, "Let's lose the formalities for the time being" I said walking.

After a tour of an hour, assisting in two surgeries and the monitoring of a post- op. patient. I returned home. 

In a matter of years I had become a full on adult, with that my childhood and teenage years were long gone, it was a weird feeling, waking up and not feeling upset as your parents  or siblings are not there, making breakfast, folding laundry, paying bills, and everything. Not that  I had not started doing all of those chores since 12, but now it was different.

I had grown comfortably used to such life somehow, just like I stopped playing with dolls at 11 years old. At the time I have to admit I kind of grieved such change, not because I regretted it, but because I was changing which at the time I found incredibly hard to accept.

I gradually found it, less and less sad.

There was nobody to answer my questions on when to call for a service, what to say,  what time is proper to visit someone, what to bring the guests and all that stuff that I would usually turn my mother, or older sister for.

Being too much tried to get changed , I removed the shoes and I laid down on the sofa, two or three hours later I was awaken by the crackling of cereals, knowing who was in the source of such noise, I launched a pillow to Rajiv. "Oh, sorry I didn't mean to wake you up, want some?" he apologized handing me of a bag of cereals to high caloric content, "Grazie" (Thank you) I yawned filling up my mouth of cereals.

We remained to eat the cereals in silent for a little bit. "I made you some food for the flight" he brought out a little paper bag with two avocados sandwiches and a bottle of water" "You did not have to, it is only few hours of travel" I said politely, "Oh well never mind then" he teased me taking away the bag, "What? Wait! I was not serious" I objected feeling wronged, I lounged with all my might at his arm as he distanced himself even more, in order for him to release my food I had to come to extreme measures: tickling, which instantly worked. Our relationship consisted in pure friendship. Since Rajiv was gay, he had been rejected, and ridicule by his family all he ever wanted was acceptance, which I could give him.

His parents had disowned him, along with all his relatives, except for an aunt. We found safety, support and acceptance in each other. "At what time will your flight depart tomorrow?" he asked me, knowing that the next day I would be leaving in order to spend the Christmas vacations with my family, " At five..." I muttered "Would you like a lift?" "Si, grazie" (yes, thank you). "Did you finish packing?" I nodded still trying to shake the tiredness from my sleeping bones, "Did you see the new guy?" "Who? The blond guy?" "Yes, him. What was his name, it has a 'O' in it... Whatever, I think he is British" "Really? How did you find him?" "Don't know, who got time to have a first impression?" I reminded him, going for a glass of water.

The day after with Rajiv's help I prepared myself and I arrived in airport early. The flight was just okay, once I arrived to my aunt and uncle's mansion in Canada, my siblings Nathan and Lexi had already arrived with their respective families. Nathan was two years younger than me, Lexi two years older, and they were both already married with kids.

The following days passed slowly, the nagging about me marrying were as endless as the humans' struggle, and perpetual as men's mistakes throughout history, obviously they insisted for me to take the contact numbers of the bachelors they had found to be suitable for me, seeing that resisting or refusing would have turned the matter into a political one somehow, I quietly took all the numbers. It was a pleasure though to see my brother and my sister with their own families, that also helped me to understand how much I wanted a child. I stayed in Canada for two weeks then went back home. I loved my job, but it was nice not having to be in charge of saving someone's life for a while.