Chapter four: Home

Rajiv's picture

Isa's pov

After two weeks we had to go back home "You're coming too, right?" I said to Violet, "I real-" "Please... Just come home" begged Rajiv almost crying, I seemed and still seem to forgot Rajiv's pain, since he as well was losing someone, one of the most important people In his life.

At that point Violet knew that we knew the time had arrived, the time we fought so hard against. The time to say goodbye and for it there was no better way to do it home.

In three hours we were in the airport, luckily Adaline slept through most of the flight. When we landed we were welcomed by my family. A bunch of loud, erratic and harmonic people, surrounded us, among those faces: Lexi and Nathan they stood impatient, "Let us see the baby" he commanded, pushing me aside from the stroller, "What a cutie", "Wait, let me hold her" "How hold you said she is?" "Ma lo sai che sei proprio una bellezza?" (Do you know how beautiful you are?", "Ciao, mama" (Hi, mama), they all reached for her in the stroller and eventually she started crying, right then everyone was busy trying to get her to stop crying, "Dai, non piangere" (Come on, don't cry) while I stood there ignored as if I had stopped existing. After the gifts parade we,  and prayer session finally went home.

"I have not changed anything since you left" I said putting away the gifts my family gave us, once home. "Are you hungry? Shall I prepare you a bottle?" I asked Adaline while rocking her, she just kept looking at me with her eyes full of curiosity, ah those eyes, the more I observed her the more I fell harder, "Che c'è, guardi?" (What is it? What are you looking at?) I asked her, crazy for her reactions, she had no idea of what I had said  and yet she occasionally reacted for the delight of seeing me laugh or coo at me.

"Home sweet home" exhaled Violet content, " Come cuddle with us!" I called her.

She came in my room, took off her slippers and laid with her head on my lap. " It's okay" I encouraged her patting her back, and finally she dropped the smile and cried revealing how scared she was. Suddenly Adaline burped loudly, "Hey!" I shouted "Was it that good?" asked Violet cooing to Adaline, who babbled happily "It seems so" I giggled "Then well done, you know there are time when you gotta put away those manners and just express how you feel" explained Violet laughing. We laughed and laughed till our stomachs started to hurt, and fell asleep like that.

"Sveglia, bellezza" (wake up beauty) barged Violet in my room "Rise and shine, come on there is someone waiting for you", I just then noticed Adaline next to me " Hi, baby. Did you sleep well?" " Yes, I did" mocked me Violet. Standing up I grabbed my glasses, and picked up Adaline "She needs a diaper change" announced Violet, biting an apple, " I got it" "Oh and Rajiv called said her appointment is at 10:00" notified me.

I bathed Adaline, dressed her then handed her to Violet, " Can you please prepare her bottle? Read the instructions". As I faced myself in the mirror, I was satisfied with what I had done "Well done Isa" I said to myself, "Still complimenting yourself, I see" commented Violet seeing me "Hey, I am naked" I objected trying to cover myself, "Nothing I haven't seen before" responded leaving. "What took you so long?" Violet was, playing in the mat with Adaline, "Sorry, I was singing" I admitted, picking up Adaline, " Come on get dressed we don't wanna be late".

"People might think we are a couple" commented Violet getting Adaline out of her car seat, " What's wrong with that? For what's worth it, I would totally be up to be in a relationship with a hottie like you" I replied "Thanks, you don't look bad yourself" she giggled passing me Adaline. Adaline received the vaccines that she should have gotten within her first birthday, I jotted down every vaccine she received on her medical history's book.
She cried a lot, which made me cry, "Stop, it is just a vaccine, what will you do when she goes to college" Violet nudged me with her elbow.

"I will probably hold a week long, crying session" I said wiping my tears, as I rocked a devastated Adaline.

"She is quite underweight, I would recommend buying these vitamins, as she should be starting on solids soon, try to get her started with some vegetables and take note of her reaction in case of any allergy, I will be receiving the blood results back in a week, if everything is normal I will not calling you back, as far as her development, it would be good for her whenever she says some gibberish for the moms to answer back as if she was really talking, also you could notice a change of colour in the stools, that's completely normal"

Afterwards we went to buy her vitamins, and bought some groceries.

Once home I started to cook with Adaline on me, "Something smells good" Violet noted as she came in the kitchen, "You said it" I wrapped some spaghetti with a fork and gave it to her, "Oh, yes. This is so good" she melted content with my cooking skills, seeing as we were eating Adaline started to fuss smacking her lips.

"Hai fame? (Are you hungry?)" I giggled as I watched try to eat our food, and Violet set the table I warmed some baby food for her, seeing me try to cool the food Violet grimaced disgusted by the view of baby food, "Stop, if you make that face, she won't want to eat it either" I scolded trying to hold back my laugh, I tasted and almost threw up, "It was not that bad" I lied, "Mangia la pappa" (eat your food) I said directing the spoon to her face.

Adaline looked at me confused, as she followed the spoon, after realising that it should end up in her mouth she opened her mouth hesitant of the outcome.

As the baby food hit her glands, her eyes widened, and her hand went to grab some out of the bowl.

"È buono?" (Is It good?), Adaline cooed happily, she managed to finish the whole portion.

In the meantime Violet was on her second plate, slurping away my spaghetti, in order to eat, I left Adaline in her chair, eventually she ended up falling asleep, seeing Violet eat this much made me immensely grateful.

After eating, Violet put the dishes in the dishwasher while I sterilised Adaline's bottles, and pacifiers in the machine.
Once we were done, I brought Adaline in her room, sat in my newly bought armchair as I rocked her to sleep, the more I rocked her, the more she wanted to fight her sleep, which was undeniably cute and funny, ultimately though she fell asleep.

It felt wrong to leave her in the crib in her room, so I decided to lay her down in the bassinet I had bought and put in my room, I needed her to be close. "Tell me you didn't spend 500$ to buy Adaline a crib just to place her in a bassinet" "Don't say it like that, it's a 300$ one, plus it has the rocking function, I need her to be close in case she needs me or gets scared".

I defended myself checking the baby monitor correct functioning, "Don't be jealous" I soothed her hugging her, she clinged so hard to body, as if scared they were going to force us apart. The toothbrush in my hand was of minor importance, hearing her sniffles as she detached herself  from me, is what ultimately broke me further.