Chapter twenty seven: Somebody Once Told Me the World Was Gonna Kill me

Aaron's pov

As the day went on we kept admitting people to the E.R. Some of those cases were easy others not that easy. I scrubbed in surgery on 27 weeks old baby with an heart defect, after that I checked on one of my oldest patient at the moment, her name was Cleo she had been having critic seizures, so we gave her some drugs to see if those could control those attacks.

"Hello Cleo, how are you today?" I asked checking her chart "Good, what about you?" she smiled "I can't complain..." I replied, "How do you feel?" "These drugs make me dizzy, and sleepy all the time, other that tha-"

Cleo suddenly began to shake helplessly, dropping the book she was holding. "Code green! Code green!". Cleo's mom showed up int that very instant "What's going on? What's happening to her? I thought those meds were supposed to make her feel better, Cleo! Cleo!" She screamed trying to reach for her daughter, one of the doctor that had came in gently pushed her back, asking her to give us some space "Ma'am I need you to step out, so we can treat her, ok?" she indulged her.

Cleo's muscles contracted in spasms, causing uncontrollable jerks and twitches.

We put her in lateral position so she wouln't choke on her tongue, then waited administered 3 ml of epi. Once she calmed down, she had passed out.

"That's was unexpected, there must be something else we are missing... What about we do a CT scan?" I proposed frustrated, "sure, you do so I will go see her mother" chief Donovan said.

Isa's pov

It's like an open wound
that keeps bleeding and hurting
and I don't know how to make it stop.

Later that day I found myself staring at a cute couple hugging each other, my mind automatically went on thinking about what had happened between me and Aaron... I didn't mean to reject him, I just wasn't used to having someone touching me, and it really made me nervous and even on the edge sometimes.

"Income!" someone shouted, before I could recognize that voice a stretcher trailed rushing behind me, laid on it there was a firefighter. He had burnt scars on the left side of his body, he could barely breath for the smoke he had inhaled, "Where's Peterson?" I ne- need...ugh... to go back in...Let me go" he coughed trying to stand on his feet, " I'll go back..." a young man reassured the Chief, the guy was coughing.

"No way! I will send somebody to rescue him. You've inhaled too much smoke" I notified him grabbing a oxygen tank and a mask, I then reached for a chair to help him sit, put the mask on him and said "Keep breathing, just like that... Good" before I could go he grabbed my arm " Mi- Michael his name..ugh.. is Michael Peterson.." he forced himself to say.

There were ambulances everywhere outside the E.R, I took off my plastic gloves stopped a paramedic and told him about Michael, "What? Are you sure, we didn't see an-" "His name is Michael Peterson, please... Go and check" the guy did as I had told him.

Later while I was changing one the firefighter bandage, the paramedic from before approached me with "THE FACE" those were the thirteen seconds most intense of my life, as I was praying that it wasn't true, that what I had seen wasn't the face, the have when someone died.

The guy whispered something in my ear softly as he felt someone might die for that news, he said "Sorry, the building had already exploded minutes after the last ambulance arrived..." Our eyes didn't meet, but I can bet we were feeling the same way.

That's when the noise got louder that's when my heart, along with my head started to ache, I started running towards the bathroom on my way there I bumped against Aaron, I... I was suddenly embraced by his arms, ... He was warm, and smelled like tea, so I let myself relax in that unknown comfort.

He held back his curiosity till he could no more . Once I had composed myself I stood up and left, Aaron didn't say anything, he probably was expecting it.

I went to check on the guy whose name was Samuel Jones, who had been hospitalized "... Doctor, how's my friend? Did you find him?" He asked me "I... I'm sorry, they... They were not able to... The building had already exploded, they couldn't find him" I said as calmly as I could " No! No, not Peterson, no, no plea-" before finishing he had a heart attack "code blue!" I shouted starting the CPR.

He was shocked twice then he got stable.

That evening

I went home, and I couldn't be happier to find Adaline was still awake, "mamma, mamma" she squealed jumping up and down, she then reached for me, "Aspetta che mi lavo le mani" (Wait let me wash my hands) I said going in the bathroom "oh Jake!" I shouted seeing Aaron "Sorry, I ... Didn't mean to scare you.. Whos is jake by the way?" he apologized picking up Adaline who had came up to him, "I made you dinner if you are hungry" he said unsure about the behaviour he was supposed to use with me around.

I washed to my hands, went to the kitchen grabbed grabbed a bar of chocolate, took a bite from it, warmed up Addy's bottle, put on the baby carrier, put Addy in it and started to bounce her, she had just bathed so she smelled so good.

Once she was sleepy I put her to bed since she didn't want her bottle.

That left me and Aaron, in silence sitting on the carpet, between us there was some space. As I bit in my chocolate bar, he would glance at me from time to time, "I am sorry, for how I reacted" I murmured, "Do I make you feel unsafe or something?" he finally asked.

"It's not about you, I have suffered from touch deprivation since I was young, so... Now that I'm older physical contact with someone who isn't an infant or a kid, makes me anxious and worried" I blurted out.

I did not want to empty my traumatic past so I went to bed shortly after saying that, Rajiv joined me at about 3 am, he had just showered, and came to lay in the bed with me, "You should dry your hair first" I nagged being splashed by his hair, "Sorry" he murmured.

Few minutes later Adaline started to turn and toss "Mamma...mama" she cried full of sorrow, Rajiv gently kicked me, so I went and picked her up "Che c'è?Hai fatto un brutto sogno?" ( What is it? Did you have a nightmare??) As I reached and grabbed a hold of her body, she relaxed in my arms, yet she had no intention to go to sleep.

So we read, one, two, three books even before she would give up and just go to bed, since I had brought her home, I had yet to stabilise a clear sleeping pattern for the evening, as she had always slept well but as she danced and giggled while I was struggling to keep my eyes open I realized the need of a strict sleeping pattern.

I almost felt like crying, as she ripped my glasses out of my face, I fell back on the bed, and as weird as it may sound she did so too by, laying on me with her head on my chest, her on that fitted her perfectly and her tiny punches that held dearly some of my braids.

"Sei stanca finalmente?" (are you tired finally?) I patted her back, Adaline closed my eyes with her hands, "No" she murmured finally quieting down.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Comment, vote and like