Chapter seventeen: The things we don't forget

Isa's pov

I don't really remember my childhood at all, just a few episodes as it was a film which start I cannot recall. I remember being little, so little that the I could barely arrive to the kitchen table standing, I remember being slapped by my father, for something I had done, and that he thought being too sneaky, I don't remember crying. But today as I touch my cheeks is like I can still feel the burning from the slap.

They say we forget about certain things for we,... deep inside know those things are those, which hurt us the most.

Aaron's pov

I had just lost Mr. Meyer, when I heard the security being called as I followed the security men I had a bad feeling, not the kind bad feeling you get from seeing a film horror where the girl opens the door she shouldn't have, but the bad feeling you get when your parents decide to go out for dinner to announce to you they're getting a divorce.

Seeing Isa bleed, made me mad. "What's wrong with me, she's not even my girlfriend" I thought within myself. "Let me pass" I requested reaching for her, the police wanted to get the report from her. "Not right now, she needs medication first" I butted in taking her." Everything you need is in here" she said handing a voice recorder to the police officer.

Isa kept silence, letting me drag her in a changing room, "What are you do-" "Shut up, just just shut up" I cut her off trying to regain my calm, it wasn't working. " You're bleeding for God's sake, you could.. you could have hurt yourself badly" I started to cry helplessly.

Isa started to laugh and hugged me tight, and that made me cry even harder. "I'm fine" she reassured me in a mother's tone. I found that very relaxing, she then lifted my chin "there's nothing to cry about, I'm okay it's just a cut" she smiled caressing my cheek.

One second she was with me and the other not, her face froze, as she went pale.

Isa's pov

"You are not okay" "Did you forget already?" My demons echoed in my head, as the memory came in my mind, my ears stopped hearing external sounds except for my heart, I started to shut and open my eyes multiple times failing to put to focus things around me, stumbling I reached the bathroom and closed myself in a stall, my breaths became accelerated as oxygen seemed not to reach my mind.

I gasped for air, shutting my eyes to stop seeing my surroundings spiralling, someone hand opened the stall's door, and grabbed me, just as I was about to crush on the ground, I leaned in that person's shoulder, recognising the scent and voice "Hey, I'm here, there" he whispered in a soothing voice, eventually we sat on the floor he hugged my body.

Hugging triggers an increase in oxytocin levels. The hugging and oxytocin release that comes with it can then have trickle-down effects throughout the body, causing a decrease in heart rate and a drop in the stress hormones cortisol and norepinephrine.

His hold was firm and warm on my hand, once facing me "I see you" his eyes looked through mines, as he had managed to see me through my demons, fears and darkness. He kissed my feverish cold forehead, "I got you".

I had promised to tell him... About the traumas that had managed to steal my voice, I had told him once they would stop hurting, once I was able to confront my past, once I felt strong enough to do so, but the time never was right and the words never came, so he understood, and just held me whenever I needed.

I gripped his scrub.

Once again those images played in my mind: I was kid, my mom and dad were arguing, when he hit her, she fell on her back, the only sounds are now her screams of pain, and Nathan's cries, soon enough, the ambulance arrives, I wanted to cry... My father's figure overs me, and threatens me, warning me not to cry, I am scared, I want my mother...