Chapter 29 - Reminiscence

After much deliberation and a bunch of arguing on both sides, debating whether to go back or venture forth, a satisfied smile made its way to my face as we walked slowly into the foliage. Leaves crunched underfoot and twigs snapped as I'm sure the four of us looked like lost tourists, prepared to go on a death hunt into a dark forest.

The silence was almost deafening as not a single word was uttered. The only sound that reassured us of each others company was the crunching, rustling and snapping. However, i could hear the faint sound of heavy breathing, close to my shoulder as I tilted my head and saw Ashley practically hyperventilate. A part of me, a very small, tiny, miniscule part of me felt bad, as my subconscious told me to go back. But my thirst for revenge felt greater as I felt my teeth grind together in the mere remembrance of Halloween night - a night I wouldn't soon forget.

I felt sinister almost as I quickened my pace, hearing the sound of rushing footsteps behind me.

"Maya, wait!"

"Hold up!"

"Where are you going?"

Ashley, Michael and Luke called after me as I merely laughed in response. "Catch up then!" I called out behind me before breaking out into a full sprint.

The darkness grew as I ran further into the heart of the woods and the "Crunch, crunch, crunch" of fallen leaves became louder as well as my breathing. The soft breeze reminded me of Ashton and I in our youth. We would always come to play in the woods that lay just beyond our house, playing tag and hiding up in the canopy of the trees. Being here, now served as a reminiscence of times past.

I stopped in my tracks, the voices that were once behind me, faint in the distance, but nevertheless still there. I put my hands against an old tree, running my fingers over the deep cracks that were barely visible in the dark. Breathing heavily in an attempt to catch my breath, I had an idea.

What better way to scare your enemy shitless than to climb up and jump out of the shadows when least expected?

So I did just that.

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath, beginning to climb.

Finding a steady footing, I used the cracks as foot holes and used the branches to pull myself up. Feeling very much like a monkey, I perched on one of the top branches, the faint sunlight becoming slightly more clearer as I looked up through the holes of the canopy to the blue sky.

Flattening myself against the thin bark, I held my breath and waited. Adrenaline pumped through my veins as I could hear my heart beating.

I could hear voices, but they weren't high pitched like Ashley's, neither were they deep like Luke's. It surely wasn't the annoying voice of Michael, so who was it?

I looked down and squinted, adjusting my thick glasses, seeing the flashlight from a phone light up the pathway.

It was Calum and another girl from our class.

I didn't want to blow my cover just yet, so I waited and watched.

Creepy much? Yes, I'm aware.

"Finally, we're alone." I heard the girl pant as she tried to regain her breathing.

They stood close enough to where I stood so that I was able to faintly make out her figure. Her red-head stood out the most and I realised that I didn't pay nearly enough attention to the others, as I had no idea who the hell this chick was.

But all of a sudden, in the midst of my observation, I had to hold on to the branch I was perched on for dear life, while my other hand was clenched over my mouth. Calum slammed the girl against the base of the tree, his hand finding its way up her very short skirt while his lips assaulted hers. She didn't seem too surprised, but instead reciprocated the action, her hands buried in his hair while the other was locked around his neck.

Oh Jesus. Oh shit.