Chapter 45 - Final hour

"Michael why the fuck?" I asked quietly to myself, feeling the urge to cry as he seemed to drive further and further from the hospital. I considered jumping out and running as fast as I could but when I looked around at the unfamiliar surroundings, I knew I wouldn't be able to make it in time.

I tapped my head against the car window, closing my eyes. I felt a few tears slide down my cheeks but wiped them away quickly before Michael noticed. I opened one eye to gaze at him but saw him exactly the same as before - tapping away at his phone and barely watching the road.

I looked at the time once again.

30 minutes.

And that was when I decided "fuck it". I pushed open the car door and jumped out onto the empty road, rolling down the side. I panted and ran in the opposite direction.

I tried so hard to retrace the car tracks and finally, finally what felt like forever I made it to the hospital.

10 minutes.

I had finally made it.

I ran through the hospital but was pushed around as doctors and nurses furiously rushed past me.

"All available doctors to floor 2." A tannoy rang overhead and hat made my ears perk up.

That was Ashton's floor...

But there were so many rooms, it can't possibly be that something happened to Ashton, right?

People in white scrubs flooded the elevator that I was left with no choice but to take the stairs.

Time was running out fast and when I found the door the stairs, I zoomed up, taking two at a time. But I was sent flying into someone when I didn't watch where I was going.

"Sorry, sorry!" I apologised quickly, not stopping to help the other person up.

But I did spare a quick glance over my shoulder and when I met eyes with them for a split second, a gasp left my mouth.

Is that really...?

Shaking my head and telling myself to ponder over it later, I pushed open the door to the second floor and looked around wildly for my brother's room, breathing heavily in the process.

5 minutes.

The doctors and nurses littered the hallways, each of them entering room 235.

Ashton...

"Nurse, nurse please tell me what's wrong? That's my brother, please." I begged as I found Ashton's nurse amongst the crowd.

"Maya dear, I'm so sorry, but his life support machine was unplugged," she began.

I felt tears well up in my eyes.

I knew exactly what she was going to tell me next.

"He's gone."

(a/n): welp imma go b4 1 of u kills me...

but for real, the QOTC is: Who do you think Maya bumped into and who do you think unplugged Ashton's life support?