Chapter 44 - Final day

"It's alright Michael, I can walk." I persuaded him as he paced around the apartment looking for his car keys.

"No Maya, I can't let you do that. What if something happens to you?" He replied, seemingly concerned for my well being.

"Don't worry Michael, I can take care of myself." I answered, as Michael flustered around.

"Maya," He started sternly, stopping in his tracks to face me. "I'll take you." He whispered close to me, one hand dripping each of my shoulders as his green eyes stared into my own.

I nodded, defeated and sighed. I sat down and watched Michael proceed to look in the bedroom. He usually leaves his keys in the same place so how did he manage to lose them?

What felt like an eternity later, Michael returned with his phone in one hand and his keys in the other. He began to type furiously on the lit screen while offering me a nonchalant "found it".

Visitation hours at the hospital was only two hours and I didn't have much time left. I rushed Michael outside and begged him to drive quickly as we sat inside the car. I frowned as he drove awful slow, keeping well under the speed limit.

"Michael you know this is a 20 zone?" I pointed out. However, he didn't reply, giving an "mmhmm" in reply seeming to slow down.

What was with him?

"Umm, Michael you missed the turn?" I said, the statement coming out as more of a confused question as I watched the car drive past the turn that would lead us to the hospital.

"Shortcut," Michael said, his eyes glued to his phone instead of the road. Although it was a nosy thing to do, I squinted at the screen that he tried to face away from me and managed to make out a single line.

It read: "Have you done it yet?"

I furrowed my eyebrows and thought to myself.

Who was he so persistent in talking to and what did he need them for?

Sighing, I threw myself back in the car seat and looked at the time.

I only had an hour left to see my brother before he was gone forever.