Routine

“Rad!” He shrieked happily.

I saw Dante smirking as he pulled into the parking space.

“If he starts saying ‘Aw, shucks’, D, I’m going to kill you.” I told him, smiling for real.

“You wouldn’t do that. You love me too much.” He grinned, showing all of his teeth like Jeph does when he’s being a little punk who knows way too much for his own good.

“We’ll see about that.”

“If you’d like, I’ll get your crew to take Jeph’s and your stuff to your bus?” He offered.

“That’d be great, thanks, D.” I said, then paused. “Oh, hey, wait. No, last time they broke some of his art stuff and he was hysterical. We’ll get it. It’s okay. Go ahead and go chill with your friends for a bit, man. You spend way too much time holed up at home with us; go on.” I told him.

“Are you sure?” He asked.

“Yes; go. Get, before I change my mind and make you help us, Dante.” I joked, before I heard:

“Mommy! I want out!”

“Go, Dante. You need it.”

He smiled gratefully and grabbed his suitcases out of the car, hurrying over to his bus and greeting Brooklyn and Shaun.

I opened the side door to the van and leaned in to unbuckle Jeph’s seat. “You know, Jeph, this was so much easier when you were younger.” I muttered.

He smiled a really toothy smile, just like Dante had earlier.

“You two are impossible.”

Raven came back around after a few minutes. “Rain?” He asked.

“Yeah?” I replied, finally getting Jeph’s car seat unhooked and letting him out. “Jepha, wait here for a minute, okay? You know the routine.”

He nodded eagerly. “I know.”

“Rain, I’ve gotta head home in a minute, so I’ll help carry your bags in, and then I have to go get ready for an audition.”

“Okay,” I said, carrying Jeph’s car seat into the bus, not looking around yet. Raven was careful with Jeph’s stuff, bringing all of our suitcases onto the bus.

“Thanks, little bro,” I smiled at him. I gave him a hug and a kiss on the cheek, and he was off.

Jeph grabbed my hand, still holding onto Batman. They were practically inseparable.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Who else hates waking up in the morning?