[17]

Mark had long finished his small cup of the treat. Jack got the largest and the most he could hold. When he got desserts, he wasn't dieting.

Mark settled on a cigarette now, leaned against an oak tree and making sure to blow it away from Jack. Not only because he would ruin his companion's sweet, but Jack didn't like cigarette smoke. Thanks to his mom.

"Say," he started. Mark blew smoke from his lips in the opposite direction before looking at Jack - sprawled out on the bench.

"Where do you live? How do you live? Do you have any pets?"

"Well, you know that old house no one wanted when Kyle Green died? I live there. I keep the bills paid by working at Starbucks and that general store. Luckily, I get shifts for one when I don't the other. There's never a break between that and school."

Jack frowned. He knew he should've payed for his. Mark needed that money. He works hard for it, despite his lazy and rebel attitude.

"Thankfully, the workers over at Starbucks know my situation. Some of the best people I've met. They sometimes let me take coffee or something whenever I want it. I eat there and school, ninety percent of the time. And yes, I do. I have a dog. Chica. I'll bring shit home from school for her. Rarely. I can spare five dollars a month for a bag of dog food."

"How much are your bills a month?"

"For electricity, I try to savor it. Probably about two-fifty? As in, two hundred and fifty. Internet isn't something I have. I steal the school's and my work places'. When I do buy food, it's around fifty dollars or so. Then the normal purchase of useless things here and there, y'know?"

Jack sighed through his nose. "You've got it rough, huh..."

Mark shrugged. "This is the best life I've had since I was six."