[42]

As soon as that door opened, Jack let out the most girlish scream he could muster. "Oh my god that dog's bigger than I thought you would have!"

Mark had to catch him as he stumbled backwards at Chica's loud barking and stampeding towards them. She caught on to Jack's behavior and laid down, wiggling excitedly towards them on her stomach.

Mark let one arm go, his other hand trailing down Jack's arm and connecting with hand. The Irish boy glanced at the dog to Mark. "I still am unsure about this... My dog, Gizmo, is so tiny compared to her..." Mark shrugged, taking his hand to reach it out towards Chica. "She's a good pup, I promise. Just a big baby, all she is."

Chica immediately bounced up with a small bark to reach towards their touch. Jack flinched and pulled away, scooting back into Mark even more.

Chica's tail stopped wagging.

"She reminds me too much of my ex's dog, Venny. He was a lab, but was not afraid to tear you in half... After he killed their neighbor's cat and then nearly ripped Lee in half, bigger dogs are scary."

Mark sighed, moving Jack off of him and squatting beside Chica - who began dangerously swatting the air with her tail and lolling her tongue when Mark began scratching behind her ears. "She's not dangerous. She runs from everything. There's not an evil cell in her body. Just loud."

Jack frowned sideways, shuffling closer and holding a hand out. Chica pressed her nose against it before ditching Mark and jumping up to Jack, small, I'm-not-going-to-hurt-you noises coming from her. "Does she bark at everyone?" Jack shifted a bit when Chica made him bend down to her level. "Of course she does. She's a dog. Why wouldn't she?"

"Has she... Bitten anyone?"

"I just told you, sweetheart," Mark threw in the nickname, making it sound bitter and sarcastic, in the most playful manner of course, "she's not gonna hurt you. Chica's loud, but you're a stranger. She needs to get to know you. Besides, you should be accustomed to loud things. With you, I sure am - Ow! Dammit."

Jack punched him in the arm, snorting. "Shut up. You have no room to talk." Mark huffed and rolled his eyes. "I have plenty of room."

"Sure." Jack moaned and mimicked Mark's the closest he could, "Oh god, don't stop." Jack innocently made more moaning noises, hugging Chica. "How're you so good - oh my god, Jaaaack."

Mark blew a raspberry and crossed him arms, baring his teeth into a frown with extremely scarlet cheeks. "S-shut up. Take my comments on your strange skills a compliment, loser."