Chapter 49-A Bolt from the Blue.

His breathing seemed normal...
And the good thing was that he was even moving his fingers.... At least slightly.

Amrita was performing her duties as a doctor and as a nurse too.
It was her responsibility to examine her patient's conditions in every two hours.

She checked his vitals, inserted the fluids into the intravenous catheter, changed the bed pads, rubbed his joints, adjusted the EKG wires and the IV stand.

She lastly wiped his face with the dry towel.

It was now a routine which she efficiently conducted without any fail.

She slouched on the nearest chair as the drowsiness plunged her.
This was completely normal as she was very well aware about the effects of pregnancy which was advancing to the latter stage.

Her eyes pivoted to Mayank's face. His striking features were like an eye candy to any woman.
He was a very handsome man just like his son.
Aakash resembled a lot like him. He was his father's replica except for the fact that he was more emotionally attached to his mother whom he missed the most.

Her heart ached to see the pain of losing his mother in those innocent eyes which spoke volumes of it and what surprised her was that he requested her to be one for him in just the matter of few hours of knowing each other.

She adored the boy. Though he was mischievous but also an obedient kid. His folks had done a good job in raising him.

She could see herself in that position in just couple of months.
Her bump was now a little visible.

She placed her hand on it and closed her eyes.

It was moments later when she felt a touch on her face. She opened her eyes to see the little boy gawking at her.

"Aakash! Why are you out of your bed?" She asked him, worried.

"I couldn't sleep..." He replied, tilting his head to see his father.

"Why can't he just wake up? How much will he sleep more?" His face drooped down.

"Soon." She replied and hugged him.
The truth which she kept to herself was that it was impossible to estimate how long it will take for him to be out of this state.. From the past few days, his conditions had indeed improved as he showed some kind of reflexes but his recovery was still a big question mark.

Aakash's head was resting on her shoulder as he held her comfortably. Then his eyes roamed to the stomach area which had bulged out a bit.

"Will the baby address me as brother? I even called you, Ma just he or she will call you. Will I be his elder brother?" He questioned and Amrita chuckled.

"Is that why you've been cleping me 'Amrita Maa'?" She enquired and she could feel some wetness on her neck.

"It's not just that-"

She pulled out from the embrace to see his eyes shedding tears.

"You remind me of Mumma.. Why did-"
"Why did she leave me?" Aakash whimpered and Amrita expunged his tears from his cheeks.

"She told me about the small baby who will play with me, who'll call me big brother but-" He hiccuped. "-but she didn't. Instead she left me." Amrita's heart constricted in stitches to hail the truth about his loss.
He had not only lost a mother but also a younger sibling.

He instantly reminded her of Ambar.

"They left me... Dida!"

"Come here... Big brother." She cradled him on her lap and whispered a lullaby to him which calmed him down.