Whatever Doesn't Kill You is Gonna Leave a Scar

I sat on the edge of the bed. Slowly dialing Twiggy's number, procrastinating to the best of my ability.

The phone rang three times and finally a voice made its appearance on the other line. "Nikki? Call Cal, Zim, Cara and Pogo. Y'all need to get down here. Stormy isn't doing good." With that he hung up. I didn't say a word to Marilyn, just grabbed his arm and pulled him behind me while calling everyone.

I told everybody what Twiggy said, of course, they had questions, but I didn't have the answers. I was terrified. Stormy was my best friend, and she was hurt because she pulled me out of the way. This could have been me.

I drove to the hospital and on the drive there I explained to Marilyn the situation and all my thoughts on the problem, he just told me none of this was my fault. But I knew. I knew that if Stormy died, I would be at fault. And I would go to my grave with the burden.

Finally, we arrived at the hospital and made our way up to Stormy's room. I pulled the curtain back. "Hey doll." Her eyes were squinted in pain and her teeth were clenched together. Her fists gripped the sheets. I slowly walked over and sat on the edge of the bed next to her, I reached my hand forward and brushed her hair back. "Where is Nikki?!" Her eyes were still closed and she had no clue I was even there. I looked at Twiggy. "They gave her so much pain medication she probably won't even know who you are." I nodded, feeling sick. "Stormy. It's me. It's Nikki. I'm here." I kept brushing her hair out of her face. "Just relax." Her body loosened a bit.

"Pull through." She opened her eyes to my words. She was gasping for air again. "Calm down Stormy. Just take slow breaths." She tried to obey but it seemed that she couldn't. "Nikki. It hurts Nikki." I swallowed back my tears. Marilyn came up behind me and began rubbing my shoulders. "I know Stormy, you'll be okay." She shook her head. "Nikki, your my best friend and I love you. But, I want to die. I can't take this pain anymore." I shook my head and tried my best to stay calm. "No Stormy, all this will be over soon." She looked at me, deep into my eyes. "Nikki, none of this is your fault. I am so happy that this is me and not you or anyone else. You did everything you could for me. And you are my guardian angel. You have saved me so many times and so many ways," She reached up and wiped away some tears that had fallen from my face. "always remember that and don't you dare blame yourself." I nodded and she smiled. "You look so pretty when you cry." She sang the verse from Pistol Whipped by Marilyn. I laughed and I knew that things weren't going to end well.