Chapter 42: Drunk Dial With Me

JUSTIN'S POV:

I don't want to seem desperate, like I'm waiting by the phone for Ely to call... but I'm waiting by the phone for Ely to call. I haven't showered after practice in fear that I'd miss her. I haven't made or ordered myself dinner in fear that I might miss her. I haven't done anything but lay here, sweaty and eating chips, waiting for her to call. For hours. Okay? So I am desperate. That I can cope with. But Ely being mad at me is tearing me apart. The only solace that I've found is the hope that she'll call. She said she would. It's just as my eyelids are getting heavy that my phone fills the silence of my room. I don't even check the caller ID, answering it on the first ring.

"Elysandra?" I ask eagerly.

"Hi, baby!" she slurs happily. Happily! Baby! I clear my throat nervously.

"You called," I marvel disbelievingly.

"Of course, babe. I miss you," she sings. My heart melts. She's clearly drunk beyond her limits, but she's happy. She's really happy.

"Ely, you're such a flirt!" Atifa teases in the background. I roll my eyes amusedly.

"For my boyfriend, always," she slurs back. Ugh, she's so adorable. "Baby!"

"Yes, Ely?" I laugh.

"I miss you," she pouts.

"I miss you, too, baby girl."

"Then, come get me!" She requests playfully. Yes.

"Where are you?"

"Atifa's!" Ely answers much too loudly. "Justin's picking me up," she whispers to someone, again much too loudly.

"Tell him to bring Za. I miss my man, too," Atifa mopes in the background.

"Justin, can you - I mean - do you... ugh!" She struggles, gathering her thoughts.

"Za and I will be there in fifteen minutes, sweetie," I assure.

"Bye, my baby boy!" She yells before hanging up. I smile to myself briefly before hopping out of my bed. I walk down the hall, making my first stop at Ryan's room on the right. I poke my head in. Ryan's on his computer. He looks to be doing some kind of last minute assignment.

"Look, Justin, I swear I didn't mean anything by -" he starts defensively.

"I know," I cut him off, shocking him. "Can I use your van?"

"Um, why?" he asks curiously, looking at the time. Two A.M.

"Ely's drunk and I gotta pick her up," I explain. He has this amused expression on his face that I'm tempted to smack him for, but I contain myself. I need his van.

"Go ahead," he allows. I nod, as much of a thanks he's gonna get from me. I head further down the hall on the left to get Za. I open the door to find nothing but darkness. Great, he's asleep. I flick the light switch, blinding myself. Why are his lights so much brighter than the rest of ours?

"Dammit, what the hell?" Za groans, sitting up.

"Get up, your girl is drunk and she wants you," I explain. He looks at me suspiciously before checking his phone. He rubs his eyes then proceeds to get up. Ti must've blew his phone up. I laugh to myself.

"Shut up," he mutters as he passes me, sliding his shoes on as he goes. "How did you even know?" he asks as we walk down the stairs.

"Ely called," I brag smirkingly. He shakes his head at me, rolling his eyes. Fuck, yeah.

After he and I jump in Ryan's van, I pull off in the direction of the cheer house. It's a fifteen minute drive, but the combination of two A.M. traffic and my eagerness to see my girl gets us there in five. We pull up to find El and Atifa sitting on the porch, as if they were sun bathing in pitch darkness. Za and I get out, taking the walkway up briskly. Atifa spots us first, scolding Za for not answering his phone. Damn. Ely spots us soon after. "Baby!" she coos. Once I reach her, I scoop her up into a bridal hold. I look down at her, but she surprises me with a deep and passionate kiss. Her lips taste of tequila, but that's not what leaves me drunk. After spending a whole day without being intimate with Ely, her kiss was like a drug to me. She eventually pulls away from me, looking up at my face with large, curious eyes.

"Wow," I breathe, floored by the kiss, her happiness, and how beautiful she looks under the porch lights. She giggles in response. I look up to ask Za if they're ready to leave, but it seems as though they disappeared inside during our kiss. Oh. With that, I carry Ely to the passenger seat, placing her inside. I make my way over to the driver seat on the other side. As I pull off, I make conversation with El. "So, did you have fun, baby?"

"So much fun! They had these pretty colored drinks with umbrellas, and the greatest music, and the girls were so nice! I never had nice friends like that before! And I know everyone keeps saying, 'What about Justin?' But that's not the same. Now, I have girl friends - friends as in plural - and it's like the greatest! The only shitty part was when that guy who looked like Tyler was all 'Get over here, bitch!' Oh my God, I was so scared," she rambles, not taking a breath. My muscles tighten at hearing this, so I look to her worriedly, examining her body for any damage. She must notice me doing so, because she continues to say, "But don't worry, Ti totally saved me. We hooked up and pretended to be girlfriends, like girlfriend girlfriends, and he totally backed off. God, she's so smart. I love her. Ugh," she finishes, out of breath. Wow. By the end of her speech, we reach the house.

"Don't get out, babe. I'll come get you," I advise. Not that she listens. I hear a subtle thud from the other side as I make my way around. I groan internally. Ely.