Chapter 51: Luau With Me

ELYSANDRA'S POV:

It's been about a week since I've last seen Justin. After our argument last week, I've successfully avoided him. He's texted and called a few times, but each time I've told him I don't want to see him. I'm too upset. I still can't believe he'd say something like that to me. It really hurt and honestly, I don't know what I'd do if I were to see him again anytime soon. Which is why I'm opting not to.

Now as I lay in my dorm room, actually doing my Econ homework outside of class for once, my phone rings. I pick it up, knowing it has to be Justin again, but it's not.

"Ti?" I answer, double checking the caller ID.

"What are you doing tonight?" Atifa asks, no greeting.

"Ummm, homework, netflix, I guess?"

"Wrong answer. Cheer Luau. You're coming," she asserts. She's been telling me about this party all week, dropping hints that I should go. It's just a party, except with bikinis, Hawaiian shirts, and leis. I've been giving her maybes, knowing that a solid "no" would encourage her to force me to go, and a "yes" would make her expect me to go.

"Atifa," I whine, "I'm really not in the party mood, with me and Justin not being on good terms right now..."

"Which is exactly why you need to get out. Sitting in your dorm feeling bad about it isn't gonna make it go away. Plus, you're a cheerleader. You have to come."

"Ugh," I sigh. "What time?"

"Eight. Don't forget your bikini!" she sings, hanging up. I check the time, 6:22. I sigh, rolling off of my bed trudging into my bathroom to shower. Heaven, help me.

Walking to the cheer house in a bikini top and jeans in the dead of winter is a whole different type of hell, but I really was not in the mood to keep up with a jacket tonight. I enter the house, and as Atifa predicted, the turn out is huge. She said it's something about girls being eager to have an excuse to dress slutty during the winter, and guys being eager to see it. However, I do manage to find a seat on the couch, the crowd being much too large to take on trying to find someone I know.

I'm busying myself on my phone, reading old text messages from Justin to cheer myself up. I'm startled when a cute, lightskin boy with locs and a Hawaiian shirt sits next to me. I lock my phone defensively, not wanting Justin and my more risqué messages to be publicized.

"Hey, I'm Jayden," he introduces.

"Elysandra, well, Ely," I answer.

"Did you come here with anyone?" he asks.

"No, I'm here alone," I answer, before realizing how that sounds. "But, I mean, I have a boyfriend, so -"

"Chill, Ely. Me, too," he laughs.

"Oh," I reply, shocked.

"Yeah, I mean, I kinda don't tell anyone that, but I'm really drunk so, if you wouldn't mind not sharing that?" he asks.

"Yeah, totally," I assure.

"I'm not like ashamed or anything, it's just... I play ball, and I'm trying to get signed. I don't want my sexuality overshadowing my skills, you know? Like if I play well, it's in spite of me being gay. If I play poorly, it's because I'm gay. It's just easier if I keep that to myself."

"I hear you. My boyfriend plays hockey, and however he plays it always seems to be my fault. It's so much pressure. If he plays badly, it's my fault. If he does well, it's because I'm there. I just wish I could catch a break, you know?" I empathize.

"Yeah, I do," he agrees, before we both feel a presence looming over us. It's Justin. We both look up at him.

"Hi, I'm her boyfriend," Justin sneers angrily at Jayden. I roll my eyes.

"Justin, what are you doing here?" I ask, his jealousy turning me off.

"I wanted to see you, El. It's been forever," he answers. I stand up from the couch, joining him.

"Come outside with me? We need to talk," I say lowly to him.

"No, don't say that. That never means anything good," he refutes. I continue to walk outside, and of course, he follows. Here we go.