Chapter 66: Comfort With Me

JUSTIN'S POV:

The guilt overwhelming me, I get up to go wait outside the bathroom for Ely to finish showering. As I slide down the door to sit patiently, I hear Ely start the water, inspiring me to reflect on my behavior. Maybe I was a little harsh. Yeah, I would love to go sledding with Ely. I was just upset about Jaden. Him calling her while we're being intimate, him asking her out, him making her happy. I took that anger out on her when she did nothing wrong. She answered the call in front of me, so she's clearly not hiding anything. She referred to me as her boyfriend, so she clearly doesn't think of him as anything more than a friend. She even tried to include me. The only thing she could've done to make me happier is not go at all, but I know I can't ask that of her. It's not fair. I feel so bad, I should've never treated her that way.

My thoughts are interrupted by the sound of retching. I squint my eyes curiously. No, it can't be. She can't be... she wouldn't... would she? The retching is followed by a sound that could only be vomiting. My heart shatters into a million pieces. No. I can't believe she'd do this. Is it my fault? Did she do it because of me? Did she do it because I hurt her? Dammit. I stand up and I try the door, but it's locked. I refrain from knocking because what would I say? I heard you throwing up? No. She'd either deny it or say so? No matter what, confronting her won't do any good. I just have to make sure she feels really loved and confident. I have to make sure she doesn't have a chance to do it again. Suddenly, the water is cut off and the door swings open.

"Justin," Ely acknowledges, surprised in nothing but her towel. She looks beautiful, but very, very tired.

"Hey, El, um... if it's okay with you, I'd like to go sledding with you," I request meekly.

"Yeah, I actually don't think I'm gonna go. I kinda feel really shitty," she replies, still standing in the doorway of the bathroom. I put my arm around her shoulder, guiding her back to my room.

"Aw, baby, what's wrong?" I ask, hoping she's honest with me so that I can reaffirm her, tell her she's perfect the way she is. I'd tell her she doesn't need to do that.

"I'm just kinda tired," she lies. Damn. We reach my room, and I close the door behind us.

"Well, how about you put on one of my jerseys, that you look so good in," I suggest, facing her, wrapping my arms around her waist as she lets her towel fall. "We can cuddle in bed, and just kiss for a while. How's that sound?"

"Really good," she murmurs, tiptoeing up to kiss me softly. "I love you."

"I love you more. Now, go lay down, baby. I'll get you a jersey," I soothe. I pull one from my drawer, heading to my bed to hand it to her. I start to climb in with her.

"Take off your shirt?" She asks quietly.  I smirk to myself, flattered that she'd ask. I comply, pulling it over my head as I plop down next to her. I smile widely, much too widely for my face.

"Happy?" I joke. She places a hand on my cheek, kissing my lips.

"So much," she murmurs, sliding over to make room for me. I slide in, and she rests her head on my chest.

"Babe, you're still coming home with me for Christmas, right?" I ask.

"Of course," she answers, grabbing my hand and lacing her fingers through mine. I breathe a sigh of relief. "Who else would I spend my favorite day of the year with?"

"I don't know, I just wasn't sure if you'd made other plans or anything," I  rationalize. "Are you excited?" I ask, kissing her head.

"Super. When do we leave?"

"The day after tomorrow," I inform. She abruptly turns to look up at me.

"You couldn't have told me sooner? I'm not even packed, Justin," she whines.

"Well, when would you suggest I have told you? We just got back together last night, babe," I laugh. She sighs frustratedly.

"Did you tell your mom?" She asks reluctantly.

"Tell Mom what?"

"That we... Did you tell here about us... breaking up?" She asks sadly. Shit.

"Yeah," I squeak. "I'm sorry," I grimace.

"Ugh, she hates me," Ely groans, burying her face in my bare chest.

"Babe, she could never. I'm pretty sure she likes you more than she likes me," I comfort, rubbing her head.

"Not anymore, J," Ely mumbles. "Now, I'm the girl that broke her son's heart."

"Hey," I say, lifting her chin so that her pouty face and die eyes face me. "I told her what I did, she knows you were justified, she's not mad. If anything, she'd be happy that you're giving me a second chance. It's all gonna be okay, baby. I love you."

"I love you, too," she pouts. "Now, kiss me and touch my butt," she demands.

"Gladly," I smile, doing as she says.