Chapter 78: Do the Deed With Me

JUSTIN'S POV:

Today's the day. My heart hurts. My heart hurts because I'm about to lose my baby. My heart hurts because I just lost my girl. My heart hurts because my girl's heart hurts and I'm the reason why. But still, I drive on with her in the passenger seat. The car is eerily quiet, so I try to break the ice.

"So... how are you feeling?"

"Scared," she answers. "Guilty. Even more scared," she continues.

"Don't be afraid. I know this is what you want. You wouldn't have told me if you didn't think this was right for you. You're gonna be alright, El. I'll be right there for you," I assure, gripping her hand. She looks up at me with large, nervous, doe eyes. "Promise me you won't be scared?"

"Promise," she says with a deep breath. I pull into the clinic's parking lot. We walk in hand in hand, completely silent. Ely takes a seat in the waiting room, while I sign her in. Once I join her, I notice that there're only girls here, all by themselves. Ely must notice too, because she turns to me whispering, "Thank you." I nod slightly. I don't think this is something that Ely should thank me for - I'm just as much responsible as she is - but I don't say anything because I need for her to relax. I read somewhere that going into a medical procedure with nervous energy can complicate things, and I need for this operation to go smoothly. I need for Ely to come out of this okay.

Suddenly, a tall, Asian nurse with brown hair peeks out, quietly asking if Ely could come back. Ely looks over to me, and I rise, signifying that I'd go with her. She smiles slightly. Did she not think I'd go? When we get back there, the nurse says, "Hello, Ely. I'm Wren, nice to meet you. It says here that you're here to terminate a pregnancy, is that correct?" I wince at the medical terminology. Ely nods embarrassedly. "Okay, great. Do you have someone to take care of you afterwards?" he asks.

"Yes, Justin's gonna take me home after," she says in almost a whisper.

"Great. So, I can take you back now, and Justin? You can have a seat right here," she gestures to a bench in the room we are currently occupying, that's between the waiting room and the operating rooms. "The procedure shouldn't take any longer than an hour," Wren informs.

"It doesn't matter how long it takes, just please make sure she's alright?" I confirm. Ely looks to me, touched. I place a hand on her shoulder affirmatively.

"Don't worry, Justin. She's in great hands," Nurse Wren assures before taking Ely back. I try to sit on the bench, but my anxiety prevents me from sitting still even for a moment. It'd be nice to have someone else to wait with, but none of the other women having procedures have company.

I'm pacing back and forth when the nurse brings Ely back out. She looks weak and sick. Worry settles in my stomach and I rush to take her into my arms. "Is she okay?" I blurt concerned.

"Yeah, she's just a little drained, but that's to be expected. Here's some paperwork for aftercare, but unless you have any questions, you're free to go! Oh, and if you still have any questions after you leave, the clinic's and my number are on the top sheet, okay?" he explains, handing me a packet. I nod.

"Thank you," I say before carrying Ely out to the car, eager to let her lay down. I set her in the passenger side gently, reclining the seat back as far as possible. I climb into the drivers side, starting the car. I turn the heat up as much as possible, but Ely still hasn't spoken. "How are you?" I finally ask.

"Hurting," she answers shortly with a wince. "But I'm so glad I have you."

"You'll always have me. Now let's get you home so you can make a speedy recovery," I say, as cheerfully as I can manage.

"Justin?" She asks, almost inaudibly.

"Hm?"

"I love you."

"I love you, too. Always."