Chapter 73: Tough Love With Me

ELYSANDRA'S POV:

Mrs. B and I are in her van, having just left yoga. Physically, I feel much more relaxed and calm. However, emotionally, I cannot say the same. The argument I had with Justin is fully encompassing the forefront of my mind, prohibiting me from escaping my stresses.

"The yoga didn't help any?" Mrs. B worries from the driver's seat once we reach a red light. I furrow my eyebrows at her, wondering how she could know that. "You're frowning," she answers my silent question.

"I really do appreciate it, Mrs. B, really," I reply, feeling guilty because her efforts to help me are futile.

"Oh, honey. When we get home, I could make you some tea?" she offers.

"Mrs. B, that's so kind of you, but... I really don't want to see... him, right now. It's just... I need more time."

"Of course, you do, sweetie. I completely understand. Where would you like to go?" Mrs. B asks kindly. Her smile is so warm, I feel bad for being at odds with her son. I know this can't be easy on her.

"If it's not too much trouble... could you take me home? To my home?" I ask as the light turns green.

"Oh, sweetie, of course! I should've known. When was the last time you've seen your family?" She questions, concerned. I frown, unsure of how to answer this. Her question, in my case, can be answered in a multitude of ways. I opt for the simplest.

"I haven't seen my tía or my primos since the summer. We're not exactly as close as you and Mr. B are with Justin," I explain, hoping she doesn't press any further. I can't take any added emotional turmoil right now.

"Well, if you'd like to visit them, I'll gladly take you, but I hope you consider us as family as well. Regardless of what happens between you and my son, our home will always be yours," she reassures.

"Thank you... mom," I attempt. She tries to stifle it, but I can see the grin emerging on her face. Her happiness is infectious, making my giggle in response. I'm grateful for the tension relief, as we pull up to my tía's house. I thank Justin's mom again, to which she wishes me luck before I exit the van. I take the long walk up to the front door, knocking timidly. The door is answered by my prima, Havana. She's my age, and the oldest of her siblings. She's perfect, in every sense of the word.

[A/N: Please envision the dialogue for the rest of the chapter in Spanish. For obvious reasons, it will be typed in English, but seeing as Ely's family has afrolatinx roots, they would naturally be speaking Spanish here.]

"Hi, Havana," I greet nervously.

"Mom! Elysandra's here!" Havana yells up the stairs, not even bothering to say hi to me. That's what living in this house as an outsider is like. That's why I haven't come back until now. A few moments later, my aunt Magdalena comes to the door, her expression suspicious. Havana doesn't move, that is, until Aunt Magdalena glares at her. Havana disappears inside the house.

"Why are you here, Elysandra? If you need money-" my aunt suspects. I cut her short.

"I don't need money, Aunt Maggie. I just wanna talk," I insert, offended. At this, she walks away from the door. I take that as my invitation inside. I follow Aunt Maggie into the kitchen, where I join her at the table. She doesn't speak, only glaring at me, making me uncomfortable. Anxiously, I blurt out the thing she'd like to hear the least: the truth. "Aunt Maggie, I'm pregnant."

Aunt Magdalena gasps, appalled. "What a disgrace! Dishonoring this family in such a way. My Havana would never create such a promiscuous name for herself. I knew from the day you were born, a child out a wedlock, nothing good could become of you-"

"Aunt Maggie," I plead, tears stinging my eyes. My heart is breaking into a million pieces. I always knew I was a disappointment, but to hear it aloud is a whole different type of pain. Hearing the pain in my voice, Aunt Magdalena's expression softens.

"What are you going to do about this? Do you need me to take you to a doctor?" She asks.

"I, um... I actually was thinking of keeping it," I stutter. Her face is appalled again, but just before I'm about to break, she reels herself in.

"My niece... I know that you probably love this... baby... but are you absolutely sure you are ready to be a mother? To give up your freedom? Your reputation? Your life?" She asks. I nod hesitantly. "Elysandra... being a mother is much more than just babysitting. What about the baby's father?" She questions, eliciting a flinch out of me, still sensitive to this morning's events. "See? This boy - you're going to have to deal with that hurt for the rest of your life if you have his baby. If he wants to be in the baby's life, you're going to have to let him, even if you do not wish to see him any longer. If he doesn't, you are going to have to live with that constant reminder everyday, that he does not want you or your baby. And any day he could change his mind. Are you ready for that kind of sacrifice, my niece?" She presses. Her words scare the hell out of me. I never thought of having this baby as more than just having this baby, but it is. So many things come along with it. As much as Aunt Maggie's words hurt me, she's right.

I'm not ready for this.