~Chapter 38~

"So Liem how's painting going?" Dad asked. I smiled at his way of trying to learn more. We were all at the table eating and talking. 

"Well, it's going great. When you have an amazing teacher!" He said. I smiled. 

"Thank you!" I said. He smiled giving me a wink. Brett chuckled. 

"Liem is actually working on this project for stem class on woodworking. He has to create a useful dresser other than a usual dresser!" Nicole said. 

"Really? Dad had an A in that class!" I said.

"Yeah, I actually did somewhat of the same project. I can help you out some time?" Dad said. Liem smiled. 

"Yeah, I'm actually doing nothing after art class tomorrow?" He said. 

"Perfect I'll come by the studio and pick you up!" Dad said. 

"Oh, no need dad I can bring him here since I leave around that time. If Liem has no problem with helping clean up?" I said looking at Liem. 

"Nun at all. Hey, mom can I come over?" He asked. 

"Of course sweety!" She said. 

"Mommy, I'm done!" Lincon said. Brett looked at him and laughed. Lincon had mashed potatoes everywhere and corn in his hair. 

"Don't worry beautiful, I'll clean him up!" Brett said getting up. I smiled. Once they were out of the room Nicole cleared her throat. 

"So I wasn't aware you were married?" She said. 

"Oh, I'm not. We're not even together. It's complicated!" I said. 

"That's an understatement!" Dad mumbled. I gave him a warning look. "The guy has a lot of issues!" He said. 

"Yeah, and you don't!" Brett said walking into the kitchen. I giggled. He walked up to me. "Where are his clean clothes?" He asked. 

"Are there any, in his dresser?" I asked. He shook his head. 

"Nope!" He said. I stood up and walked into my room. Brett was behind me and I was soon pushed into a wall. "Don't hate me but I lied!" He said. I giggled. 

"Brett, come on get off me!" I whispered. 

"I can't I just want to kiss you!" He said. I smiled. He brought his lips to mine and kissed him back. 

"Satisfied?" I asked. He smirked. 

"Not really, but your kisses do me wonders!" He said bringing my hand down to feel his pants. I gasped and moved my hand. 

"Quit, what if someone comes in?" I asked. He smirks more. 

"I'll quit taunting you!" He said placing his lips on mine again. He then moves away from me and grabs a set of Lincon's clothes sending me a wink as he walks out the room. I rolled my eyes trying to catch my breath. Asshole. I fixed myself and walk out the room back to the table. To my surprise, dad had a piece of paper out mapping numbers on it while using the ruler he had to create lines. He was talking to Liem about measurements and how it would help him with his project. I looked at Nicole smiling. She looks up at me and smiles. 

"Did you find everything?" She said. I nodded. 

"Yes, I did." I said. She nods. "Do you want to step outside?" I asked. She gets up. 

"Yeah, sure." She said. We walked outside and we sit on the porch. "He's very kind, your father." She said. I looked at her. 

"Yeah, he is. When my mom died I thought I would lose him but he never changed. He loved my mom but I guess he had to love me just as much to stay sane." I said looking up at the sky. 

"When I found out Liem's father cheated on me it broke me. But I knew I couldn't close up on him because I was all he had. Since his father never chose to actually come by I knew I needed to be his rock." She said. I looked at her. 

"Liem drew a picture in class a few days back. It had a woman crying while looking down at a man kissing another woman. That woman is you isn't it?" I asked. She looked at me. Tears made her eyes crystal. 

"Josh cheated on me and I am the one hurt? How can this world be so cruel?" She asked. I placed my hand on her back. 

"Believe me when I say I know exactly what you're talking about. Brett and I haven't exactly been together for Lincon's 4 years. I was told he was dead. For 5 years I went without him thinking he was dead." I said. She looked at me. 

"How did you live with that? Knowing the man you love was gone and nothing you could do will bring him back?" She asked. I looked at my hands.